Quick Take: Z-Core PM is a sleep-aid that, obviously, helps you get to sleep. Now, you might be wondering what’s the difference between this supplement and prescription sleeping pills. While both help make sleeping less of a chore, Z-Core PM is designed to also improve muscle recovery and testosterone. Check out the review.
- Muscle Pharm has made a name for itself in the bodybuilding community for supplying numerous supplements that help improve one’s physique.
- One aspect that some athletes find more difficult than training is sleep and recovery. This product is meant to assist that.
- The Z Core PM formula has a mini-stack of ZMA (Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin B6)
- Also has potent Fenugreek standardized to 50% Saponins
- Designed for use by both men & women
- Available to buy online and in retail stores including bodybuilding (dot) com, Amazon, and GNC.
Z-Core PM Ingredients
|Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)||3 mg|
|Magnesium (as Magnesium Aspartate)||113 mg|
|Zinc (as Zinc Aspartate)||7.5 mg|
|Copper (as Copper Glycinate)||10 mcg|
|Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graceum) Seed Extract (Standardized to 50% Saponins)||50 mg|
Z-Core PM’s T-Boosters & Other Ingredients
Vitamin B6 – Pyridoxine Hydrochloride might not be the best form of this vitamin but Vitamin B6 is still essential for healthy levels of testosterone because B6 depletion seems to lead to lower levels of test.
Magnesium – Aspartate isn’t what I’d call the best version of Magnesium but if I’m not being picky, it’ll do just fine. As a men’s health supplement, this mineral helps build muscle, increase “free” testosterone, and reduce oxidative stress. Additionally, multiple researches seem to suggest that improves sleep.
Zinc – Similar to Magnesium, Aspartate just isn’t the best for Zinc. As a testosterone booster though, Zinc is one of the best out there. It plays essential roles in both testosterone synthesis and release while also maintaining high levels of test after an intense bout at the gym.
Copper – A high Zinc intake depletes our body’s supply of Copper and that could somewhat hamper our body’s ability to produce testosterone. That said, balancing your Zinc supplements with a little bit of Copper looks to be a good idea (although the RDA for copper can usually be accomplished through a normal diet).
Fenugreek – This plant is commonly used for its libido enhancing properties but recently, it’s been making quite a bit of noise in the bodybuilding community for its ability to boost growth hormone and “free” testosterone which our bodies use to grow muscle.
Melatonin – This is the hormone that basically controls our Circadian rhythm or sleep-wake cycles. On a very basic level, your body produces more melatonin when it’s right about time to sleep. The more melatonin you have, the more sleep becomes inviting. This also helps reduce oxidative stress.
Z-Core PM Directions
MusclePharm says Z-Core PM can be taken by both men and women but at different doses.
- Men – 1-2 capsules daily
- Women – 1 capsule daily
Regardless of gender, MusclePharm suggests that Z-Core PM is best taken on an empty stomach, 30-60 minutes before sleeping.
With a simple 6-ingredient formula, Z-Core PM is certainly one of the more unique testosterone boosting products I’ve seen. To better understand why it was designed this way, let’s get it straight from MusclePharm. According to the company:
- “MusclePharm® Z-Core PM™ promotes deeper and more efficient sleep to maximize healing, tissue repair, anabolic hormone production, testosterone levels and muscle growth.”
In other words, MusclePharm designed Z-Core PM to be a sleep aid that improves testosterone and muscle growth/recovery. Personally, I find this very relieving because although we know the importance of sleep and recovery to muscle growth, a lot of us have trouble getting a healthy dose of Z’s at night and this affects our gym performance the next day.
Looking at the formula, it does seem as though Z-Core PM has what it takes to lull you to sleep. 3-6 mg of melatonin may not seem like much but that alone is enough to grant you a visit to dreamland.
While your melatonin induced sleep is almost a sure thing, what has me concerned is the ability (or inability?) of Z-Core PM to boost testosterone and recovery while you’re catching Z’s. The ZMA trio of Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6 along with Copper and Fenugreek do seem to fit the bill of boosting testosterone and muscle growth but it’s their dosages that have me worried.
Does it Work?
For sleep? Hell, yeah. That’s what melatonin is naturally for so I think Z-Core PM will almost definitely make your bed a lot more tempting. Take note, a healthy dose of sleep already boosts muscle recovery and testosterone.
However, Z-Core PM is designed by MusclePharm to push this sleep-inspired growth to new heights. In that regard, taking 2 capsules of Z-Core PM per day could probably bring the dosage high enough to work but not high enough to maximize the ingredients’ potential.
- Purpose – The purpose of the entire formula is unique because instead of supporting gym performance, it promotes sleep and recovery. This is good.
- Unisex – Formulated for both men and women.
- Safe – No synthetics means a lesser chance to encounter side effects. From the reviews I’ve read, the customers seem to be getting better sleep too.
- Melatonin – When it comes to sleep, you probably can’t get any better than this.
- ZMA – Tried-and-tested by athletes to not just improve their training, but to improve recovery as well.
- Under dosed – Except for melatonin, everything else on here could use a bit more mg’s.
- Quality – The forms taken by the individual elements of the ZMA trio are the same forms used in the original ZMA formula but even so, they’re not the best.
- Weak T boosts – Blame it on the two bullets before this.
The Bottom Line
While targeting the recovery part of bodybuilding is certainly uncommon, Z-Core PM isn’t the only product that does this and it’s also not the best. However, strictly in terms of helping you get to sleep and improving the quality of your sleep, Z-Core PM has that under its belt. With regards to boosting testosterone and pushing recovery to greater heights though, let’s just say Z-Core PM is far from making it to the list of the most powerful test boosters.