Quick Take: Performance Lab SPORT Post-Workout is sort of like a capsulized sports drink… but better! This supplement is going to get you hydrated after an intense bout of action at the gym while also protecting your muscles from oxidative damage and stimulating growth. What sets Performance Lab SPORT Post-Workout apart from its competitors, I believe, is the incredible synergy it has in such a simple formula. Read the review to find out more.
- A product of Performance Lab®, SPORT Post-Workout was designed as a “restorative sports nutrition for muscle recovery and healthy gains”
- Refuels lost electrolytes through the combination of Himalayan Pink Salt and Coconut Water Crystals
- Sodium (from salt) and Pomegranate help ensure that the nutrients get delivered to the muscles that need them
- Also has Creapure® pH10, a branded and highly potent form of creatine monohydrate, to replenish muscle energy and promote growth
- Simple yet incredibly synergistic design enables it to be stackable with most other fitness supplements
- Exclusively available to buy on the official Performance Labs website
Performance Lab SPORT Post-Workout Ingredients
|Sodium (from Himalayan Pink Salt)||140 mg|
|Creatine (as Creapure® pH10)||1000 mg|
|Pomegranate Extract (as P40p™) (Punica granatum) (fruit) (std. for min. 40% punicosides and min. 50% total polyphenols)||500 mg|
|Himalayan Pink Salt||350 mg|
|Organic Coconut Water Crystals (Cocus nucifera) (freeze dried powder)||1250 mg|
Performance Lab SPORT Post-Workout – Ingredients Review
Sodium – Everyone who’s ever trained is going to sweat and as we sweat, electrolytes leak out of our system. Sodium, in particular, needs to be replenished especially in athletes with intense training regimens because it plays a vital role in blood volume which then helps with the transport of oxygen and nutrients.
Creatine (Creapure® pH10) – Creatine is one of the most popular and heavily researched supplements in fitness. It helps athletes train harder because of its contributions on recycling ATP, leading to more energy which allows the athlete to train longer and/or harder. In the foreseeable future, this can enhance strength and muscle mass gains as well, especially at this potent and branded monohydrate form.
But doesn’t that make Creatine a great pre-workout though? Why is it in a post-workout supplement?
The truth of the matter is, yes, it is a great pre workout supplement – maybe even the best – but taking it after exercise has its benefit, too.
For one, your muscles are going to deplete your creatine supply especially with intense training. Therefore, supplementing Creatine post workout can help you replenish your reservoir so you have more to use on your next gym session.
Moreover, there are also a few studies pointing towards creatine increasing IGF-1 and decreasing myostatin which, theoretically, can promote muscle growth. Do note, however, that these studies are in their early stages so take them with a grain of salt (pun intended).
Pomegranate (P40p™) – This fruit has a lot of post workout benefits and I think it’s a shame that it isn’t getting the attention that it’s supposed to. For instance, the potent dose of polyphenols and punicosides in this particular brand have antioxidant benefits capable of decreasing oxidative stress and DOMS. On top of that, it also increases nitric oxide production resulting in better blood flow.
Himalayan Pink Salt – This is said to be the purest form of salt. Compared to your regular table salt, Himalayan Pink Salt contains significantly more minerals including potassium, magnesium, sodium, and many others. This further helps refuel the electrolytes and nutrients lost during workout. Plus, this goes well with the next ingredient.
Coconut Water Crystals – According to research, coconut water and sports drinks have comparable effects on hydration and athletic performance. The science behind this might be because coconut water, like Gatorade and other sports drink, is rich in nutrients and electrolytes such as Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Vitamin C, and many others. However…
COCONUT WATER ISN’T ENTIRELY THE SAME AS MANUFACTURED SPORTS DRINKS
Although similar and often compared to, coconut water has less sodium than sports drinks. If you’re consuming excessive amounts of sodium or are hypertensive, this can be a healthier option.
For athletes, however, Sodium is a crucial part of post workout rehydration and recovery which essentially makes coconut water the inferior choice. Well, at least that’s how it typically should be but that isn’t the case here.
Along with its organic coconut water crystals, Performance Lab SPORT Post-Workout also has a good, healthy dose sodium. Mixed together, these two bring this supplement closer, if not better than factory-made sports drinks in terms of rehydrating power.
BUT YOU KNOW WHAT TAKES PERFORMANCE LAB SPORT POST-WORKOUT OVER THE TOP?
Himalayan Pink Salt. Along with coconut water’s already abundant bag of nutrients, Himalayan Pink Salt also carries its own mixed bowl of nutrients, giving you more electrolytes, better hydration, and faster recovery.
Performance Lab SPORT Post-Workout Directions
Each serving of Performance Lab SPORT Post-Workout consists of 4 Plantcaps®. However, according to their instructions, you may take 4-6 capsules with at least 16 oz of water per day after workout. With a total of 120 capsules per bottle, it should last you a maximum of 30 days.
Performance Lab surprises me yet again with what seems to be their trademark style of simple yet incredibly synergistic formula designs. Before we move on though, let me ask you this:
WHY DO YOU EVEN TAKE POST-WORKOUT SUPPLEMENTS?
Before even writing this review, I asked around and the people I talked to mostly had these to say:
- Faster muscle growth
- Less pain after workouts
Performance Lab SPORT Post-Workout offers ALL of these benefits in a harmony of ingredients that I’ve come to realize is typical of Performance Lab products.
For instance, we’ve already talked about how the partnership of Himalayan Pink Salt and Coconut Water can be a better and natural alternative to high calorie sports drinks. What I haven’t told you yet, however, is that both these ingredients also go well with Pomegranate.
Specifically, sodium (from salt) and pomegranate have positive effects on blood flow and blood volume which, in turn, results in the improved delivery of nutrients and electrolytes coming from Himalayan pink salt and coconut water. With their combined efforts, your muscles are going to get the nutrition and hydration they need to grow.
Speaking of muscle growth, this product’s creatine can also increase ATP and regulate proteins involved in muscle growth (IGF-1 and myostatin) to push this stack’s anabolic properties even further. Oh, and the antioxidant properties of pomegranate as well as the fruit’s ability to lessen DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) helps, too.
BUT… WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH TESTOSTERONE?
To answer that question, let me point you towards a research that studied the effect of hydration on testosterone and cortisol responses to training intensity.
According to the results of their clinical trials, hypohydrated athletes had:
- higher levels of cortisol pre and post workout
- lower testosterone:cortisol ratio post workout
Cortisol, by the way, is THE stress hormone and it increases, well… when we’re stressed. As you can see, the results of the research clearly indicate higher levels of cortisol and lower levels of testosterone (with regards to cortisol) in athletes who didn’t get adequate hydration. Moreover, since cortisol is also a catabolic hormone, its increase can counteract the anabolic properties of testosterone which, theoretically, can delay muscle growth.
The way I see it, Performance Lab SPORT Post-Workout was designed to help counter the effects of hypohydration through its antioxidant and rehydrating properties. Through these, not only will it help decrease cortisol, but it might support higher testosterone levels after the gym, too.
Performance Lab SPORT Post-Workout Benefits: Does it Work?
It works and it works tremendously well. Compared to most other post workout products that are either in powder or ready-to-drink forms, Performance Lab SPORT Post-Workout contains no artificial flavorings, sweeteners, and/or fillers that only add unnecessary calories.
Furthermore, these Plantcaps® are all natural and infused with prebiotics that not only make them vegan friendly, but also easier to absorb and therefore, decreasing the time it takes to work. For all your athletic goals, you won’t go wrong with Performance Lab SPORT Post-Workout.
Performance Lab SPORT Post-Workout Review Summary
- Synergistic – All of the Performance Lab products I’ve written reviews for have insane synergies and SPORT Post-Workout is no exception
- Low-calorie – No fillers, no sweeteners, no BS ingredients – that’s precisely how I like my supplements.
- Premium grade quality – Literally everything here is in top-shelf form. Heck, even their salt comes from the Himalayas! That shows you the amount of effort that was put into every single detail.
- Restorative and anabolic – Replenishes lost electrolytes and improves nutrient delivery while also protecting and promoting muscle growth
- Stackable – The simple and somewhat minimalistic design of Performance Lab SPORT Post-Workout means it can be stacked alongside most other fitness related supplements, whether it be a fat burner, a mass builder, testosterone booster, etcetera.
- Not enough creatine – I personally don’t have a problem with this because I stack this product with Performance Lab SPORT Pre-Workout (which has its own dose of creatine) but for most other dudes and dudettes, 1000 mg may not be enough.
- No protein and BCAA – Whey protein and BCAAs are great for post workout recovery and sadly, this product doesn’t have them. If you’re already invested into fitness though, you’re probably already taking these two so this may not even be an issue.
- Exclusive – As far as I know, you can’t but Performance Lab® products anywhere else but their website. So, no, this one’s not on Amazon or GNC.
The Bottom Line
The fact of the matter is that there’s probably no perfect supplement. However, when it comes to post workouts, I think Performance Lab SPORT Post-Workout is damn near close. I wish it had a bit more creatine and I wish it came with whey and BCAAs but for what it was designed to be – a stackable, top-notch supplement with awesome hydrating and muscle protecting properties – it’s a great addition to any athlete’s bag.