Quick Take: JYM ZMA is a product of one of the most brilliant minds in fitness – Jim Stoppani. This 4-ingredient stack is simple but through better sleep and boosts in anabolic hormones such as testosterone, it can push your growth and recovery to greater heights. Let’s find out how it does its magic in the review below.
- This ZMA formula is just one of many bodybuilding supplements manufactured by JYM
- Jim Stoppani, a man with a PhD on exercise physiology, is the founder and creator of JYM supplements
- Advertised to be a “precisely dosed ZMA with enhanced bioavailability”
- Utilizes the same forms of Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6 that have shown to be effective in scientific studies
- Has BioPerine to boost nutrient absorption
- Available to buy online and in retail stores including Amazon and the Bodybuilding [.] com website
JYM ZMA Ingredients
|Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)||10.5 mg|
|Magnesium (as Magnesium Aspartate)||450 mg|
|Zinc (as Mono-L-Methionine and Aspartate)||30 mg|
|Black Pepper (Piper Nigrum) Fruit Extract (as Bioperine®)||5 mg|
JYM ZMA – Ingredients Review
Vitamin B6 – There’s a research that shows rats having lower levels of testosterone when they are subjected to vitamin B6 depletion. This result may be indicative of B6’s importance to maintaining healthy levels of T in humans as well.
Magnesium – This mineral is involved in over 300 bodily functions and one of them is boosting “free” testosterone. According to research, Magnesium showed an “uncompetitive inhibition” on testosterone’s bind to SHBG* which ultimately results in more bioavailable testosterone. Furthermore, it’s also involved in both anabolism and relaxation.
What is SHBG?
Sex hormone-binding globulin or SHBG is one of two proteins that bind to sex hormones such as testosterone. Compared to the other protein (Albumbin), however, SHBG has a significantly stronger bond with T.
Basically, when you’re testosterone is bound to SHBG, it becomes useless until the connection is severed. Moreover, around 30-40% of your total testosterone is SHBG-bound. Needless to say, that’s a lot of test just floating around doing nothing. What a waste, right?
Zinc – Perhaps the manliest mineral for men, Zinc is heavily concentrated in our testes and our prostates. If you’re in to bodybuilding or fitness, Zinc can keep your testosterone levels high even after your workout which can then help you grow those stubborn muscles.
Black Pepper (BioPerine®) – This particular brand of Black Pepper extract is standardized to 95% of the active compound responsible for giving the spice its spicy taste. However, JYM ZMA doesn’t use this to add “heat” to its capsules but rather, to improve the overall absorption of its formula by at least 20-fold.
JYM ZMA Directions
Each serving of JYM ZMA consists of 3 capsules. However, the instructions differ for men and women.
- For men – Take 3 capsules 30-60 minutes prior to sleep
- For women – Take 2 capsules 30-60 minutes prior to sleep
NOTE: For both men and women, JYM recommends taking their ZMA on an empty stomach.
First and foremost, JYM ZMA is designed by none other than Jim Stoppani himself. This dude has a freaking doctorate on exercise physiology and he did a postdoctoral research on the effects of exercise and diet on gene regulation in muscle tissue.
Furthermore, Jim Stoppani has also written and co-authored several books on diet and exercise. If you can’t already tell where I’m going with this, let me give it to you straight:
JIM STOPPANI KNOWS HIS STUFF
However, that doesn’t necessarily mean his supplements are the best ones out there… or is it? Let’s find out.
Jim’s ZMA, for the most part, follows the design of the original ZMA where it uses the same exact forms and dosages of Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6. These nutrients are great testosterone boosters and because of their respective forms and dosages, they’re also effective and easy to absorb.
In fact, one research shows that these same exact combinations were able to improve “free” testosterone, growth hormone, and muscle strength. However, what makes JYM ZMA better than its predecessor is its inclusion of BioPerine. Having the branded black pepper extract here makes it at least 20% better absorbed.
JYM ZMA Benefits: Does it Work?
Based on what I told you in the analysis section of this review, YES, JYM ZMA works. However, there’s a catch.
You see, another research on ZMA that used subjects who already had sufficient levels of Zinc showed no improvements. According to the researchers, “ZMA has no significant effects regarding serum testosterone levels and the metabolism of testosterone in subjects who consume a zinc-sufficient diet”.
The results of this research don’t change my opinion of JYM ZMA being effective but the catch is that it doesn’t work for everyone. In essence, ZMA only seems to work on men (and women) who have deficiencies on either or all of ZMA’s nutrients (i.e., Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin B6).
JYM ZMA Review Summary
- BioPerine® – The original ZMA formula was already good but BioPerine makes it even better.
- Jim Stoppani – Being the mind behind JYM supplements, I think this dude’s numerous personal accolades give the entire brand a solid chance of working.
- Reputation – With over 300 customer reviews and an average rating of 8.9/10 on Bodybuilding, I think ZMA JYM has a pretty good reputation with its customers. There aren’t many reports of side effects either.
- Not for everyone – To be fair, ZMA supplements look to be effective for most people. However, if you’ve already got your nutrition right, it’s probably not for you.
- No form upgrades – Although Aspartate is a good form for both Zinc and Magnesium, there are still others (e.g., Citrate) that could’ve made these minerals better.
- No melatonin? – This one’s subjective but a lot of people tend to look towards nighttime testosterone boosters to improve their sleep. Although ZMA has this effect, too, having melatonin – the hormone that regulates sleep/wake cycles – may have propelled this particular benefit to greater heights.
The Bottom Line
They say the grass is greener where you water it but when you add fertilizer, the grass grows even better. This is the case of JYM ZMA. Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6 boost testosterone and improve your sleep at night to help your muscles grow bigger and stronger but with BioPerine acting as “fertilizer”, your body absorbs the nutrients more efficiently. Is JYM ZMA one of the best testosterone boosters in the market? Probably not. Is it effective? Hell yea.