Quick Take: Vitamin D is an important part of nutrition but unfortunately, not all of us have the luxury to bask in the sun and get our daily fix of free vitamin D. Vegans, in particular, have it harder since most vegan friendly vitamin D supplements come as D2 – the inferior form of the vitamin. That being said, allow me to introduce to you GNC Earth Vegan Vitamin D3 – a superior form of vitamin D that respects the principles of veganism. Read the review to find out more.
- A product from Earth Genius™ – a new series of supplements from GNC
- Sourced from lichen instead of the wax from sheep’s wool (lanolin) which makes it great for vegans and vegetarians
- Has a solid 50 mcg dose but, honestly, it could be better
- Advertised to be great for teeth and bone health but Vitamin D3 is essential for high testosterone, too.
- Available to buy online at GNCs official website. I couldn’t find it on Amazon and eBay though.
GNC Earth Vegan Vitamin D3 Ingredients
|Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol D-3) (from Vitashine Lichen)||50 mcg (2000 IU)|
GNC Earth Vegan Vitamin D3 – Ingredients Review
This is the only ingredient found in this supplement but there are a lot of testosterone boosters that have this vitamin in their formula. In fact, a lot of the best T booster supplements this 2018 have Vitamin D3 as an integral part of their design.
It helps in the absorption of calcium and phosphate which are important in bone health but it also plays a role in keeping our muscles, mind, heart, and immune system functioning properly.
Specifically as a testosterone booster, however, research shows that men with higher levels of Vitamin D also tend to have higher levels of test. Clearly, this vitamin is an integral part of maintaining healthy T.
GNC Earth Vegan Vitamin D3 Directions
Each serving of GNC Earth Vegan Vitamin D3 consists of a single capsule. Per instructions, simply take 1 capsule daily. With a total of 60 capsules per bottle, this should last you a good 60 days.
According to GNC, their Vitamin D3 “is derived from sustainably sourced lichen instead of sheep’s wool”.
For vegans who know their stuff, I’d like to think that this is wonderful news. For the newcomers, however, here’s why you should be excited:
The best source of Vitamin D comes from the sun but for those of us who, for any given reason, can’t spend adequate time outside, we need to get our vitamin D from diet (food) and supplements. On the topic of supplements, plant based vitamin D products always come as Vitamin D2 whereas animal-based vitamin D mostly comes as Vitamin D3.
This is crucial information to know because, as a general rule, D3 is far superior than D2. As a matter of fact, one research states that D3 is approximately 87% more potent than D2 at raising and maintaining vitamin D concentrations.
Therefore, vegans, most of the time, need to consume more D2 than their non-vegan counterparts who have no problems looking for D3 vitamins.
That is until scientists discovered that they could farm D3 from lichen – a symbiosis between fungi and algae.
Compared to lanolin and fish oil (animal-based sources of Vitamin D3), using lichen is well within the principles of veganism. So, if you’re vegan or vegetarian, lichen D3 is as safe as any product out on the market.
Now, when it comes to dosage, this 50 mcg (2000 IU) dosage does seem pretty solid. In fact, it’s well above the RDA for adults over 19 years old. However, specifically for boosting testosterone, I personally would’ve wanted a bit more. 3000 IU would’ve made this perfect, in my opinion, but, again, it’s still solid.
Furthermore, at $19.99 per bottle, this product is a little bit more expensive than other D3 supplements. To be fair though, regardless of what brand it comes in, D3 extracted from lichen is generally more expensive than its animal-based counterpart.
To puts its price into perspective, here are a few other lichen-based Vitamin D3 supplements and their values on Amazon:
- Natural Factors (Whole Earth & Sea) Vegan bioenhanced Vitamin D3 – $20.97 for 5000 IU and $13.97 for 1000 IU
- Pure Essentials Vegan Vitamin D3 – $16.00
- Doctor’s Best Vitamin D3 – $13.97
- MaryRuth’s Vegan Vitamin D3 Gummies – $24.95
GNC Earth Vegan Vitamin D3 Benefits: Does it Work?
With a superior, natural form and a solid dosage, GNC Earth Vegan Vitamin D3 works. It’s not perfect though and it may be a little heavy on the pocket but for vegans and vegetarians who are stuck taking an inferior form of vitamin D, this supplement, in my opinion, is as good as it gets.
GNC Earth Vegan Vitamin D3 Review Summary
- Vegan friendly – I’m no vegan myself but I do see how difficult it can be. Kudos to GNC Earth Genius for making at least this part easier for our vegan/vegetarian friends.
- Vitamin D3 – Vitamin D, in general, isn’t that hard to find but in a world where D3 supplements are mostly based off of animals, this is a welcome sight.
- GNC – How can I not include GNC, the company, as part of this product’s good side? It’s one of the best and biggest supplement companies in the country (and perhaps the world) for a reason.
- Capsules – It’s 2018, people. I think tablets should be a thing of the past.
- Pricey – I’m not rich so… $19.99 feels a little heavy.
- Dosage – For testosterone purposes, 3000 IU would be the ideal dose. As a support for general health though, 2000 IU isn’t bad at all.
- Exclusive? – This may or may not be a bad thing but, as of the moment, GNC Earth products don’t seem to be available anywhere else except GNC. I checked Amazon and other places online; no luck.
The Bottom Line
Before we end this, let me just say that I’m rating this primarily as a Vitamin D supplement and secondarily as a testosterone booster because, in the first place, it wasn’t advertised as a T booster. Having said that, GNC Earth Vegan Vitamin D3, as I’m sure you can already tell, is for vegans and vegetarians but men and women who live by different life principles can use it, too. After all, it still is Vitamin D3. I do think it’s a little pricey though and the dosage could probably be better but either way, it’s still a supplement that I would personally recommend to my vegan friends.