Quick Take: First of all, the name of the testosterone booster sounds funny. I can’t help but think of a chimpanzee wearing a Batman costume. Anyway, this supplement is designed to boost testosterone and muscle while burning fat. That sounds like any typical testosterone booster advertisement. But wait! There’s more! It does all those while you sleep. Well, at least that was what it was designed to do. In today’s review, we’re going to witness if it actually does what it was supposed to.
- APE DarkNight isn’t the only testosterone boosting product of Athletic Edge but this one is different because it focuses on the recovery part of bodybuilding rather than the actual training.
- With the brand’s slogan being “substance over hype”, they sure do back it up with a lot of high quality ingredients.
- APE DarkNight’s formula includes Green Tea and Green Coffee which I think contradicts their main motive.
- The formula also includes Melatonin – the hormone responsible for managing our Circadian Rhythms.
- Advertised on their website to be “your edge for nighttime testosterone support”.
- The prices range depending on where you buy it. It’s being sold at their website for $55 but you can buy it cheaper on Amazon for $33. GNC seems to have other Athletic Edge products but it doesn’t have this.
APE DarkNight Ingredients
|Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol)||1,000 IU|
|Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)||5 mg|
|Folate (as Folic Acid)||100 mcg|
|Magnesium (as Magnesium Aspartate)||90 mg|
|Zinc (as Zinc Aspartate)||6 mg|
|Nighttime, Weight Loss & Testosterone Boost Matrix|
|Fenugreek (Trigonella Foenum-Graecum) Seed Extract (50% Saponins)||500 mg|
|Green Tea (Camellia Sinensis) Leaf Extract (98% Polyphenols, 45% EGCG)||250 mg|
|Gymnema Sylvestre Leaf Extract (75% Gymnemic Acid)||250 mg|
|Green Coffee (Coffea Robusta) Bean Extract (50% Chlorogenic Acids)||200 mg|
|LONG JACK (EURYCOMA LONGIFOLIA) ROOT EXTRACT – (28% GLYCOSAPONINS, 20% POLYSACCHARIDES (EURYGOLD))||100 mg|
APE DarkNight’s T-Boosters & Other Ingredients
Vitamins & Minerals
- Vitamin D – This study shows a positive correlation between Vitamin D and testosterone. Thus, higher levels of this manly vitamin is tied to higher levels of testosterone, too. Additionally, this cholcecalciferol (D3) form is looking so darn sexy.
- Vitamin B6 – As Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B6 isn’t at its best form (P-5-P is better). Regardless, it still is great for normalizing testosterone levels. According to this study, low levels of Vitamin B6 also lowered levels of testosterone which then suggests that healthy levels of this B vitamin is linked to healthy levels of test.
- Folate – This right here is another B vitamin. Folate has many benefits on health but probably one of the most practical uses is for pregnant women.
- Magnesium – This mineral has many hormonal functions but most notable in testosterone boosting products is its ability to SHBG which then frees up testosterone for anabolic muscle building. Magnesium Citrate is an okay form but there’re better forms.
- Zinc – This might actually be the manliest mineral for testosterone. It acts as a raw material for testosterone production while also signaling for T release. Additionally, it could maintain levels of testosterone after a heavy bout of weightlifting.
Nighttime, Weight Loss & Testosterone Boost Matrix
- Fenugreek – As a testosterone booster, it increases levels of test by inhibiting aromatase and 5a-reductase activity. However, these T-boosts only take a back seat to this herb’s performance and sex boosting potential, especially at this heavily standardized form.
- Green Tea – If you’ve rarely seen fat hipsters, credit their body composition to Green Tea. This is one of the most consumed beverages in today’s generation and it’s a great ingredient for fat burning.
- Gymnema Sylvestre – According to this study, GSE has shown significant antiobesity potential. It has also shown to help in controlling sugar levels and help curb the “cravings”.
- Green Coffee – They’re called “green” because they’re basically unroasted beans from the coffee plant. Similar to GSE, it can regulate levels of blood sugar which then promotes fat-burning in return for energy.
- Diindolylmethane – The way I see it, DIM is a pretty questionable ingredient of choice. However, it’s been gaining fame amongst testosterone boosters for its ability to reduce estrogen count.
- Tongkat Ali – Scientifically named Eurycoma Longifolia. This is a great natural testosterone booster that not only increases testosterone levels, it lowers levels of stress too. According to this study, it can boost testosterone by 37% while also lowering levels of cortisol by 16%.
- Melatonin – According to this article, melatonin “helps regulate other hormones and maintains the body’s circadian rhythm”. When it becomes dark, Melatonin production increases. Subsequently, it drops during the day. This combination explains why we feel more alert when the sun’s out versus when it’s already night time.
Sleep/Wake Homeostasis VS. Circadian Rhythm
Sleep/wake homeostasis is what tells us to go to sleep after we’ve been awake after a long time. Also, it helps us sleep better at night to make up for the hours we were awake during the day. Essentially, this explains why we feel inclined to rest after we’ve had a long day.
Circadian Rhythm on the other hand, regulates the timing of feeling sleepy and feeling alert. It varies from person to person but generally, we feel the strongest drive to fall asleep at 2-4 am and 1-3 pm. This feeling seems to intensify if we didn’t have much sleep and becomes less inviting when we’ve had our healthy ZZZ’s.
For more information on this, click here.
APE DarkNight Directions
Take three caps (1 serving) 20-30 minutes before sleeping. APE DarkNight also suggests to take it for 12 weeks straights followed by a 4 week break.
To the untrained eye, it might be easy to miss the ZMA trio of Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6. APE DarkNight also uses the same forms of these ingredients as the original blend of ZMA. However, I still do need to point out that these forms could use some upgrades. Vitamin D3 also makes its way into the formula which is great.
And now we get to the Nighttime, Weight Loss & Testosterone Boost Matrix. Fenugreek and Tongkat Ali are both good ingredients when it comes to testosterone boosting. Fenugreek specifically, offers sex and athletic performance benefits along with testosterone while Tongkat Ali also lowers cortisol. Both of them come with potent, sophisticated standards, too.
DIM is here to lower estrogen but honestly, it’s not a very reliable approach to regulate this female hormone.
Green Tea, Green Coffee, & Gymnema Sylvestre are all pretty good choices when it comes to burning fat and losing weight. However, Green Tea and Green Coffee also has caffeine in them and caffeine, as we should all know by now, is a stimulant.
This has me scratching my head because it’s counterproductive to what they are trying to achieve. Admittedly, they do try to make up for it by adding in Melatonin but even so, it doesn’t look like it’s enough to rock you to sleep.
Does it Work?
APE DarkNight makes three claims on their label. Namely:
- Nighttime testosterone booster
- Fat burner
- Sleep Aid
Judging by those, APE DarkNight seems to work. It has the ingredients to do so. However, by trying to do too much, I think it failed at being an uncompromised testosterone booster and sacrifices the efficacy of everything else. For example, they wanted fat burning and sleep so they added Green Tea and Green Coffee as fat burners and Melatonin for sleep aid. While that sounds like a good plan, Green Tea and Green Coffee have caffeine and are therefore stimulants that negatively affect the sleep benefits of Melatonin.
- ZMA – This mini stack is always a welcome addition to any testosterone booster.
- No Prop blends – When your job is to write reviews, transparent dosages always help. Thanks APE DarkNight!
- High Quality ingredients – Although some vitamins and minerals need upgrades, a whole of the herbs used in this formula hold high quality standard.
- Green Tea and Green Coffee – These two might be one of the best fat-burners out there.
- Melatonin – Not a lot of supplements prioritize sleep and recovery so it’s pretty nice seeing one that does.
- No side effects – With these high quality ingredients, I wouldn’t think there’d be anything major. But since the supplement does have Caffeine, I suggest you gauge your own tolerance to stimulants just to be safe. Also, Fenugreek has DHT decreasing properties. DHT is manlier than testosterone in so many aspects. So, yeah. Watch out for that too.
- Green Tea and Green Coffee – They might be great fat burners but they contradict the sleep benefits this formula was aiming for.
- Weak execution – The plan was good. The execution wasn’t.
- DIM – Not a very reliable estrogen regulator despite its rising popularity.
The Bottom Line
Overall, the formula looks good enough to be effective but not that good to be efficient. That said, there’s no way I’m putting this on my list of the best testosterone boosters. However, just because it isn’t on my personal list, doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have value.
Like I said, not a whole lot of companies are formulating testosterone boosting products that target the recovery part of bodybuilding so in this case, APE DarkNight does have its use. I’d recommend this to the dudes who’re actually targeted by this formula. The same dudes that want to recover faster from a grueling workout through sleep.