If you’re here, I’m guessing you’re somewhat of a seasoned weight lifter who understands that building muscle is a complicated process. Along with regular visits to the gym, you also need proper nutrition, a healthy amount of sleep, and heck, even the right supplements. That’s what I’m here for — to show you the Best T-Boosters for muscle gain available on the market.
Together with my suggested supplements, this article will include some effects and features that you should be looking for in a testosterone booster for building muscle, so you yourself can decide what product to buy. Let’s start!
|If there’s a testosterone booster that’s geared specifically towards building muscle, I think it’s TestoFuel. It uses ingredients that not only boost testosterone, they simultaneously improve muscle growth and physical performance, too. Plus, it uses an advanced stacking strategy to make sure you get a good dose of its manly nutrients.|
|From one of the biggest companies in the fitness industry, EVLution Nutrition’s EVL Test is perhaps one of the best strength and recovery T-boosters available today. With powerful and scientifically proven testosterone boosters, and a solid dose of ZMA, this supplement is set to quickly help you boost testosterone, gain strength, and promote sleep.|
Performance Lab SPORT T-Booster
|Despite its relatively short formula, Performance Lab SPORT T-Booster is as well-rounded as they come and it works shockingly well for virtually anyone. Specifically for muscle gains, it promotes high levels of testosterone while also limiting stress (cortisol) and estrogen. This particular set of effects results in a more anabolic metabolism.|
|Quantum T is actually a 2-part stack of AM and PM supplements. Its AM supplement is in charge of promoting anabolism through higher testosterone and lower estrogen and cortisol while its PM portion helps prevent loss of sleep while promoting recovery. Overall, this unique stack is one you wouldn’t want to miss out on if you want to build muscle.|
|Prime Male uses top-shelf testosterone boosting ingredients that all come together in one of, if not the most sophisticated synergies I’ve seen in a T booster. Personally, I think this may be the best testosterone supplement for older males (i.e. men over 30) who not only want better physiques, but better health overall.|
WHY IS TESTOSTERONE VITAL FOR GAINING MUSCLE?
As you probably already know, testosterone is largely responsible for developing characteristics such as deep voices, hairy bodies, high libido, heavy bone structures, and of course, muscle mass and strength. Moreover, the reason why these traits are typically more dominant in males rather than females is because men normally have significantly higher levels of testosterone than women, hence why T is otherwise known as “the male hormone”.
According to research, skeletal muscle, the type of muscles worked out during training, express several types of androgen receptors (AR). Testosterone acts on these receptors which triggers increased muscle mass mainly via increased protein synthesis.
THIS IS WHY TESTOSTERONE IS SO IMPORTANT IN SPORTS AND BODYBUILDING
Without it, it’s simply too hard, if not impossible for us humans to build more muscle.
On that note, testosterone is naturally at its highest when you’re young (i.e., teens to 20s). Consequently, this period is also the easiest and fastest time you can build muscle. At approximately 30 years old, however, testosterone tends to take a dip and it goes down by about 1% per annum.
So, as you get older, you’ll find it harder to build or even maintain your muscle gains. Plus, you might literally feel yourself get weaker and have lesser energy with each passing year.
That being said, age isn’t actually the only factor that can deplete our T levels – stress and several other factors can do that, too. Along with decreasing test levels, these testosterone-killing elements can consequently also hinder growth.
Now that we’ve talked about how testosterone is so important to building bigger and stronger muscles, it’s time we move on the next part of this guide.
WHAT SHOULD MEN LOOK FOR IN A T-BOOSTER IF HE WANTS TO GAIN MORE MUSCLE?
The natural testosterone boosting industry has been growing exponentially over the past few years. There’s literally hundreds, if not thousands of these supplements out there.
Unfortunately, however, a lot of these productive aren’t particularly effective – trust me, I’ve written reviews for a lot of supplements that, quite frankly, just suck. Moreover, these “effective“ supplements aren’t all geared towards helping men build more muscle, making it even harder to find the right T-Booster.
THAT BEING SAID, I BELIEVE THE BEST T-BOOSTERS FOR MUSCLE GAIN SHOULD HAVE THESE BENEFITS:
- Promote anabolism (protein synthesis)
- Increase strength
- Strengthen bones
- Supply seemingly boundless energy
- Better mental function
Of course, testosterone impacts several other characteristics but as far as muscle is concerned, these are probably the most significant – yes, even mental health. As a bodybuilder myself, I always get better workouts in when I’m thinking clearly. I’m more focused and more creative on my lifts which ultimately helps me push through every single rep.
WHAT FEATURES SHOULD T-BOOSTERS FOR MUSCLE GAIN HAVE?
Like I said, not all testosterone booster supplements were created for the sole purpose of helping men build better physiques. So, this part of the article is where I walk you through the features that you should be looking for in T-Booster if you want one that can help you gain more muscle. Let’s start with the most obvious…
POWERFUL TESTOSTERONE BOOSTS
If at this point, this still isn’t clear enough, allow me to reiterate the obvious: testosterone boosting is the most important feature of a testosterone booster. After all, why even bother calling it T booster if, at the very least, it can’t boost test, right?
That being said, I think it’s paramount that you look for a supplement that not only boosts testosterone but one that powerfully and efficiently does so. This will serve as solid ground for other features to be built on and helps ensure that you get the most benefits from your chosen product. Hence, I suggest you look for these ingredients:
- Boron – If you want fast T boosts, Boron is probably the best in the business. Not only does it significantly boost testosterone in just 7 days, it also boosts other testosterone boosters (i.e., Magnesium and Vitamin D).
- Mucuna Pruriens – This herb has L-Dopa as its active ingredient and its also responsible for a lot of its manly benefits. This, of course, includes testosterone boosts which it does via increased LH production.
Or simply DAA, this amino acid is perhaps the most balls-out T booster ingredient today. Per research, it can boost testosterone by as much as 42% in 12 short days. I mean, wow, that’s incredibly powerful. Also, its sheer strength is probably why a lot of the premier testosterone supplements this 2018 design their formulas around it. Personally, I think it’s one of the few ingredients that every T boosting product should have.
ANABOLIC HORMONAL SUPPORT
While boosting testosterone may be the most crucial part of tuning your hormonal profile for anabolism, it’s not nearly enough to simply increase T. To truly optimize your body’s response to higher testosterone, a T booster supplement must also consider the other hormones that can affect anabolism. Let’s talk about a few of the most important ones, starting with testosterone’s counterpart:
Both testosterone and estrogen are sex hormones but while T is known as “the male hormone”, E is also “the female hormone”. Unfortunately for us men, we, too, have the aromatase enzyme imbued within our system. Unbelievable as it may seem, this enzyme is responsible for converting our beloved test into its feminine counterpart.
Consequently, higher testosterone gives aromatase a larger number of targets to convert into estrogen. Not only will this make gaining muscle much more difficult, it will make you gain fat, too. That’s bad news for you and your anabolic dreams. As such, look for testosterone boosters that use aromatase-inhibitors alongside its T boosters. Check these out:
- Luteolin – In my opinion, Luteolin has the most potential among aromatase-inhibitors used in natural test booster supplements. Sadly, it’s not used quite as often as DIM but from its research, it might have the same potency as pharmaceutical grade aromatase inhibitors.
- DIM – Perhaps the most commonly used aromatase-inhibitor, DIM also has anti estrogen promise. However, its research is mostly done on women so it’s popularity doesn’t necessarily mean its reliable. That said, I haven’t seen a study that says it doesn’t work on men, so it probably does, too.
Sex hormone-binding globulin
Or simply SHBG, this glycoprotein does exactly what its name suggests – bind to sex hormones. Testosterone, being a sex hormone, is also one of SHBG’s targets.
What’s so bad about this, however, is that when SHBG is bound to T, it essentially renders the hormone useless. Therefore, bound testosterone won’t be able to interact with the androgen receptors in skeletal muscle and it can’t trigger protein synthesis which is needed for muscles to grow. So, when you go looking for a T-Booster for muscle gain, try and find one that has anti-SHBG ingredients, such as:
- Magnesium – This mineral is good for a lot of things but it’s especially great for muscle and testosterone. It promotes relaxation which helps with recovery but it also weakens the bond between T and SHBG, leading to more “free” test.
- Stinging Nettle – This herb has both anti-estrogen and anti-SHBG properties which, to me, makes it one of the most suitable ingredients you find in T boosters for muscle. Specifically for SHBG though, it has lignans to bind to the glycoprotein in place of testosterone.
Cortisol is a stress hormone. Basically, the more you get stressed, the more your cortisol will rise. Contrary to testosterone which is an anabolic hormone, cortisol is catabolic, meaning it “destroys” rather than “builds”. Moreover, both hormones share an inversely proportional relationship where you lose T as your stress levels get higher.
Along with the environmental factors that come with everyday living, our bodies unfortunately perceive intense exercise as stress. So, as you push yourself harder at the gym, you accumulate cortisol overtime and your anabolic metabolism gradually shifts towards a plateau. To make sure you stay in an anabolic state and continue to build more muscle, I recommend looking for the following anti-stress ingredients (a.k.a adaptogens) in your T booster:
Ashwagandha – Used in ancient Ayurveda, this herb helps the body adapt to stress and therefore limits the rise of cortisol. Furthermore, it’s also shown the ability to not only raise testosterone, but also improve velocity, power, and stamina.
- Rhodiola Rosea – Unlike most adaptogens that decrease cortisol while increasing T, Rhodiola maintains levels of these two hormones. This makes it great for exercise since it essentially allows you to push yourself harder without worrying about tipping the balance between anabolism and catabolism.
- Tongkat Ali – Perhaps more popular for its benefits on libido, Tongkat Ali is actually pretty good for fitness, too. Per research, it can increase testosterone (37%) while also decreasing cortisol (-16%).
Naturally, a significant boost in testosterone almost automatically improves physical performance. With high T, you get to lift heavier for longer. However, to me, a T booster that’s designed specifically for muscle also has ingredients that augment the performance-enhancing benefits of testosterone.
If you truly wanted the best though, you’d want one that with ingredients that simultaneously boost T and athleticism. Check these out:
- Fenugreek – Commonly used to improve the flavor of foods, Fenugreek is actually pretty good for male health. It boosts “free” testosterone and strength while also having impressive benefits on libido. Plus, it seems to help with fat metabolism, too.
- Zinc – Zinc is an essential mineral for testosterone synthesis, making it one of, if not the most important nutrient to male health. Furthermore, it also prevents the drop in testosterone that typically happens after exercise which, according to research, may benefit performance.
- Coleus Forskohlii – As research says, forskolin, the active ingredient of Coleus Forskohlii, can decrease body fat while also improving muscle mass and testosterone. This helps you get lean muscle at greater ease.
It’s fitness’ worst kept secret that muscles don’t grow in the gym. They get “pumped” there, sure, but to actually grow? Nah, bruh – that ish happens in your sleep.
That being said, the recovery part of growth is just as important as training and nutrition. So, for a T booster to be fully capable of helping your muscles grow, it also has to help you sleep. Or, more specifically, it has to boost testosterone while helping you catch those ZZZs.
ZMA is actually a trio of Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6 – all great testosterone boosters in their own right. Together, however, they are even better especially when it comes to promoting higher T and sleep. Why?
Well, it’s simply because most people aren’t getting enough of these nutrients. Athletes and fitness enthusiasts, to be more specific, are particularly at a greater risk for Zinc and Magnesium deficiency since these people sweat a lot and sweating also excretes minerals.
That being said, having the right amounts of these nutrients is crucial. When looking for supplements with ZMA, the manufacturer may either provide the individual parts or list ZMA as a single ingredient. To me, it doesn’t really matter as long as you get top-shelf quality and dosage overall.
- Melatonin – This hormone is in charge of regulating our sleep-wake cycles. You won’t see this used in most testosterone supplements because it doesn’t actually boost T. However, it can be found in hybrid test boosters that also function as sleep-aids – and I think that’s great.
RECAP: THE BEST T-BOOSTERS FOR MUSCLE GAIN
|T-Booster Supplement||My Review||Website|
|#1 – TestoFuel||My Review||www.testofuel.com|
|#2 – EVL Test||My Review||www.evlnutrition.com|
|#3 – Performance Lab SPORT T-Booster||My Review||www.performancelab.com|
|#4 – Quantum T||My Review||www.mtheorysupplements.com|
|#5 – Prime Male||My Review||www.primemale.com|
And there you have it – the best T-boosters for muscle gain. I sincerely hope I helped you learn a few things that could potentially point you towards the most suitable testosterone supplement for YOU.
In a nutshell, these products have to provide:
- Powerful testosterone boosts
- Hormonal regulation for anabolism
- Effective performance benefits
- Recovery/sleep support
To me, a testosterone booster supplement that utilizes the right ingredients to grant the above features is the ideal product for gaining muscle. However, although T boosters are indeed helpful, they aren’t magic pills that can instantly transform your physique. You’ve got to put in the work, eat right, and rest well, too.