Ah, it feels just like yesterday – six pack abs to lure the ladies, insane marathons of sex, a seemingly bottomless supply of energy, and crazy amounts of self-confidence. It’s great to be young and in your 20s, isn’t it? But, alas, a decade has passed and now you’re in your 30s.
Now, it’s as if you barely have enough juice to go for a another round (if you know what I mean) and your stamina just isn’t where it used to be. When you look in the mirror or step on a scale, it’s apparent that you’ve packed on a few pounds of fat. How is it that you’re running out of gas?
Well, it’s likely that you’ve begun losing testosterone but don’t worry because it’s not the end of the world. After all, there’s a way to metaphorically turn back the hands of time through natural testosterone boosters. That said, I’m here to lend you my services to help you find the most suitable T-booster for YOU.
I’ll start with a list of what I think are the the best T-boosters for men over 30 followed by a detailed explanation on my theories regarding what to look for in your testosterone supplements. So, are you ready to lose that belly, gain back your muscle, elevate your libido, and experience all the benefits of having back your youthful T? Yeah? Then let’s get to it.
Best T-Boosters – Men Over 30
Performance Lab Sport T-Booster
|Performance Lab Sport T-Booster‘s 4-ingredient formula may seem overly simplistic but because of their well thought out strategy, these ingredients synchronize to enhance the entire testosterone boosting process while defending it from other hormones that would otherwise derail T production .|
|In my opinion, Prime Male is the most suitable T-booster supplement for most mature men. Through luxurious and proven ingredients that all come together in synergistic fashion, this stack is perhaps the most well-rounded natural T booster in the market.|
|TestoFuel targets the more athletic and physically active side of the spectrum but by no means does its T-boosting prowess play second fiddle to its anabolic nature. With its stacks-within-stacks strategy, this product is more than capable of boosting the testosterone of 30 year old men.|
|For the man who needs help managing the hormonal changes that come with being 30, you’d be hard-pressed to find a testosterone booster that works as good as Test Freak. Not only does it boost T, it also helps balance out estrogen and DHT.|
Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone
|Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone has a lot of what men in their 30s need and none that they don’t. Along with powerful testosterone boosting, this stack especially looks impressive when it comes to improving bedroom performance and libido.|
These testosterone supplements are my personal recommendations for men over 30 but let me make something clear
THEY ARE NOT THE ONLY GOOD ONES.
The world of natural testosterone boosting supplements is one that’s rapidly growing and there are literally hundreds if not thousands of them on the 2018 market. In fact, some of the T-boosters on this list might not even be among the best overall.
However, men in their 30s have unique needs from other age groups. Hence, taking the most popular T booster might not always be the wisest choice. Based on my judgement, the products here have the most fitting formulas that benefit the unique needs of 30 year old men. If you’re not satisfied with this list, that’s a-okay. I’ve written plenty of other testosterone booster reviews to help you choose the stack that you feel is best.
That said, let’s move on to answering the question that most probably led you here:
WHAT HAPPENS TO TESTOSTERONE LEVELS AFTER 30?
Testosterone peaks during your teenage years and early 20s. However, for most men, multiple sources have stated that testosterone levels decrease at 30 years old and every year after that, your T constantly dwindles even more. To give you a better idea how fast (or slow?) this annual testosterone decline goes, check out this figure:
For now, focus your attention on the left part of the picture (A). This shows the drop in total testosterone starting from age 30 all the way down to 90 years old. Also, the same study revealed that the rate of decline is about 1% each year.
1% may not seem like a lot right now but believe me, the years pile up fast and before you know it, your testosterone levels will be significantly lower compared to when you were a teenager. This, then, leads to the side effects of low testosterone. Speaking of which…
What are the symptoms of low testosterone in men during their 30s?
Before we actually get to the manifestations of low testosterone, do remember that in your 30s, your T levels are still pretty much starting to decline. As such, the side effects of low testosterone might not be as apparent as compared to when you’re in your 40s or 50s. However, it’s never too early to start the counter attack on low T. With that said, here are the areas of male health that’ll most likely be affected:
- Testosterone is involved in body composition. More specifically, it contributes to muscle growth as well as fat metabolism. Because of these, men in their 30s might feel like it’s harder to maintain or achieve a toned and healthy physique. Also, it most likely won’t be obvious to you yet but as testosterone and muscle strength decreases, there might also be underlying issues involving your bones and joints.
- Perhaps the most deflating change that you’ll start to notice in your 30s is a declining sex drive. Aside from lower libido, however, you might also start observing a downgrade in your erections and your sperm making it that much harder to please your woman (or women if you’re into that sort of thing).
- When it comes to mental health, lower testosterone can cause mood swings and quite possibly, even depression. Brain fog has also been linked with low testosterone so you might catch yourself sometimes having problems with memory and focus.
These areas are where you’re most likely going to notice changes as your testosterone takes a dip. However, that’s not to say that they’re the only ones.
For instance, testosterone also plays a role with maintaining cardiac health. As research suggests, atherosclerosis – the clogging of your arteries – is accelerated when your body stops producing enough testosterone. This places men with declining testosterone at an increasingly higher risk for several heart diseases.
Especially for men in their 30s who have poor lifestyle choices (e.g., bad eating habits, lack of exercise, alcohol abuse, etcetera), heart health is also another thing to watch out for.
That said, it’s time we move on to answering another important question:
WHAT SHOULD MEN OVER THE AGE OF 30 LOOK FOR IN A T-BOOSTER SUPPLEMENT?
Unlike the younger population who’re virtually overflowing with testosterone and are most probably only after the anabolic effects of T, mature men need the overall effects of testosterone. Unbeknownst to many, however, the most expensive and/or the most popular T-boosters in the 2018 market aren’t necessarily the best for mature gentlemen such as yourselves.
Thus, I think that the best T-boosters for men over 30 are supplements that offer a wide range of T-related benefits, including:
- Elevated sex drive and sexual performance
- Bolstered muscle growth, strength, and endurance
- Weight management and fat loss
- Clearer mind and a more stable mood
- Healthier heart and blood vessels
From my experience writing reviews, I’ve seen a lot of testosterone supplements that claim to have these benefits. Unfortunately though, very few of them actually deliver satisfactory results. On that note, let’s answer the next question:
WHAT FEATURES SHOULD A T-BOOSTER FOR MEN OVER 30 HAVE?
This part of the article is where I reveal and explain to you the elements that I believe should be in a testosterone booster that’s designed to meet the unique needs of 30 year old men. Moreover, I will also add in a few ingredients that essentially makes these features possible. So, without further adieu, let’s get to it.
POWERFUL TESTOSTERONE BOOSTING
Let me ask you something.
- What good is a testosterone booster that can’t actually boost testosterone?
The answer is simple: nothing. Well, not really but if the product claims to be a T-booster, it should, at the very least, be able to boost testosterone. As simple as it sounds, the unfortunate truth is that a lot of manufacturers don’t always have test boosts at the top of their list of priorities.
Especially for a dude in his 30s whose testosterone is inevitably going to fall, you’re going to want a testosterone booster that does its job well. With that said, try looking for the following ingredients:
- D-Aspartic Acid (DAA)
- Perhaps the most direct and powerful natural testosterone booster we have to date. According to research, this amino acid can boost testosterone by up 42% in as little as 12 days. Wow. It’s not only powerful, it’s efficient, too.
- Mucuna Pruriens
- This herb gets its T-boosting prowess from its active ingredient L-Dopa. The compound is capable of increasing luteinizing hormone (LH) which in turn, signals for increased testosterone production in your testicles.
SUPPORT FOR SEXUAL ACTIVITY
Let’s be honest here. Sex is most probably the main reason why you’re even thinking about testosterone boosters; if I’m right, I don’t blame you because that’s what got me started, too (for the most part).
Regardless of your primary reason though, it can’t be denied that sex is an important part of virtually every man’s health and lifestyle. By the time your testosterone starts to decline when you hit your 30s, your sex drive and performance in bed goes down with it, too. For this very reason, I think it’s crucial for a testosterone booster to include a few ingredients that support sex. Such as:
This herb indirectly boosts testosterone through enzyme inhibition (we’ll get to this later) but it’s generally promising for boosting masculine vigor. According to a research that studied the benefits of this herb on the libido of males aged 25 to 52, Fenugreek had positive effects on sexual desire, arousal, and orgasm.The results of this study proves that Fenugreek is beneficial for sex in general. Furthermore, the study also includes 30 year old men in their list of participants which justifies its use in T-boosters for mature men. In my opinion though, if you were to have Fenugreek in your supplement, try to look for one that uses Testofen® because it’s the same brand used in the study.
- Tribulus Terrestris
- Research shows that this herb is an ineffective testosterone booster for men aged 36 and below. However, if you’re in your late 30s (i.e., 36 years old and above), Tribulus Terrestris has a good chance of influencing your T production. Regardless of age though, it’s great for reviving lost libido.
- Tongkat Ali
- Legendary when it comes to boosting fertility but it does so much more for male health than just improving one’s sex life. As a T-booster, one research states that it’s “particularly beneficial for individuals with sub-normal testosterone levels”.
Other notable libido boosters (that don’t boost T):
The following herbs don’t have the ability to boost testosterone but that doesn’t mean they’re unnecessary ingredients in testosterone boosters for men over 30. For those who need help in the bedroom, these herbs should be plenty useful.
- Horny Goat Weed
- Instead of actually boosting testosterone, HGW mimics its effects with boosted libido and harder erections being its most prominent benefits.
- Otherwise known as Peruvian Ginseng, Maca is capable of boosting libido and several sperm parameters. Obviously, these effects are pretty manly so, to me, it’s unfortunate that they don’t come with higher T.
- Panax Ginseng
- To be fair, this herb does have research supporting its use as a testosterone booster. However, the research is outdated and to my knowledge, isn’t followed up by a more recent study. As such, I personally think it’s unreliable. Nonetheless, it’s great for stress-relief, energy, and sex.
PHYSIQUE AND PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT
A good majority of the men I know want sculpted physiques and the athleticism of… well… athletes. Of course, this includes men in their 30s and if you’ve made it this far into the article, I’m betting you want the anabolic and performance benefits of testosterone, too.
I hate to impose on you but if by chance building a better body isn’t on your list of priorities, I think it’s still a good idea to consider a testosterone booster that has a few good performance enhancers. The way I see it, not only will these ingredients improve your physique, stamina, and strength, they’ll have an impact on the quality of your life as well. One herb that I strongly recommend is this:
Historically used in ancient Ayurvedic practice, Coleus Forskohlii has been used to improve cardiac and skin health. Nowadays, however, it’s mostly seen as a fat-burner.
On that note, the fat-burning effects of this herb are due to its active compound Forskolin. Furthermore, this same compound also enables Coleus Forskohlii to increase testosterone.
According to a research that studied the effects of this herb on overweight and obese men, supplementing on Coleus Forskohlii for 12 weeks significantly decreased fat while also increasing lean muscle mass, testosterone, and even bone mass. For a man in his 30s who’s testosterone and metabolism are on a steady decline, I think the benefits of this herb are quite fitting.
Other performance and physique enhancers to consider:
- This herb has adaptogenic value which helps improve muscle growth, recovery, and strength. Furthermore, it’s also quite the effective testosterone booster AND it has benefits on libido, too.
- Fenugreek and Tongkat Ali
- I’ve previously mentioned both these herbs but they also deserve a spot here as they’re both quite effective at promoting anabolism.
NOTE: DHEA is another ingredient that’s commonly used anti-aging and exercise-centered testosterone boosters. Personally though, I don’t like it all that much. Although it’s a precursor to testosterone, it doesn’t actually do much (if at all) for T levels. Plus, it’s considered as a WADA banned substance so athletes might test positive for doping.
One of the more common questions I get about ‘natural’ testosterone boosters is on how it compares to anabolic androgenic steroids (AAS) when it comes to bodybuilding.
To put it simply, anabolic steroids are synthetically-made testosterone molecules that have been altered to produce dramatic boosts in muscle growth. However, beware that they also shut down your body’s ability to make its own testosterone as well as a handful of life-threatening side effects.
On the other hand, natural testosterone boosters work hand-in-hand with your body’s own mechanisms which allows it to more efficiently produce testosterone. Although not generally as powerful as AAS, effective natural test boosters safely grant you ALL the benefits of boosted testosterone which, of course, includes enhanced muscle growth.
DEFENSE AGAINST TESTOSTERONE KILLERS
Testosterone killers can come in many different shapes and sizes. For instance, there’s alcohol, weed, certain foods, and heck, even ejaculation can kill your testosterone. However, these are external factors which can be avoided through a change in lifestyle and not necessarily through supplements.
What I’m referring to here as “testosterone killers” are other hormones/enzymes that bring down the effectiveness and/or levels of T. As you venture into and beyond your 30s, these are things that you will most likely have to address. Let’s discuss them one by one.
Sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG)
Regardless of how much total testosterone you have, only 1-2% of them is “free” in circulation. The rest of the 98%, you ask? Well, they’re bound to proteins SHGB and albumin. Together with your “free” testosterone, albumin-bound testosterone is considered bioavailable and ready to interact with androgen receptors. Basically, these bioavailable T are your ready-to-go testosterone.
On the other hand, testosterone that’s bound tightly to SHBG are essentially just floating around doing nothing. Furthermore, SHBG concentrations tend to go higher as we age which means that as we men get older, not only do we lose total testosterone, we lose “free” testosterone at a faster rate, too. Because of this, I think it’s important for a T-booster for men over 30 to include ingredients that block SHBG. Such as:
- Stinging Nettle
- This herb has lignans that have an affinity to SHBG. Theoretically, this attraction leads the lignans to bind to SHBG in place of testosterone which leaves us with more “free” T.
- The science behind how Magnesium acts on SHBG is a bit complicated so I’ll spare you the little details. Basically though, this mineral weakens the affinity between SHBG and testosterone which leads to an increase in “free” T.
- A fast-acting “free” testosterone booster, Boron supplementation has been found to significantly decrease SHBG numbers in a matter of just 6 hours.
As you might already know, estrogen is the primary female hormone. However, what you probably didn’t know is that one study describes testosterone as “the major source of plasma estradiol“ – the main and most potent form of estrogen. Ironic how our favorite androgen is also the primary origin of its own nemesis, isn’t it? How does this happen?
Well, this is all thanks to the enzyme known as aromatase.
Put simply, aromatase is what’s responsible for converting our precious testosterone into estrogen. To make matters worse, aromatase activity increases as we age. Therefore, for men in their 30s, inhibiting the aromatase enzyme not only lowers estrogen but also indirectly boosts testosterone.
- In my opinion, this compound is the most promising aromatase inhibitor used in natural T-booster products. Luteolin promotes the destruction of aromatase and also blocks it from converting testosterone into estrogen.
- Diindolylmethane (DIM)
- Perhaps the most commonly used aromatase inhibitor in the T-boosting industry, the research surrounding DIM is actually focused more on women’s health. However, I do believe it can also work for us men.
- To my understanding, this mineral isn’t necessarily capable of lowering estrogen but it does seem to reduce estriadol into less potent forms of estrogen.
Aside from estrogen, DHT is also another hormone that’s converted from testosterone and like testosterone, it’s also an androgen. In fact, DHT is even more potent than T on virtually everything except skeletal muscle. However, too much DHT has also been correlated to prostate issues. More specifically, benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH). This is where being in your 30s comes into play.
As we get older, our bodies not only produce less testosterone but it also becomes more sensitive to 5-alpha-reductase (5AR) – the enzyme that turns T to DHT. Similar to how the effects of aromatase, 5AR’s bioactivities leads to higher levels of DHT and lower levels of testosterone.
With that said, it only makes sense that the best T-boosters for men over 30 utilize 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors to not only boost testosterone and lower DHT, but also to minimize a man’s chances of developing BPH.
- Saw Palmetto
- The berries of this plant have fatty acids that are capable of inhibiting 5-alpha-reductase. According to research, this significantly lowered levels of DHT as well as produced higher levels of testosterone.
- Stinging Nettle and Fenugreek
- Both these herbs also have properties that enable them to inhibit 5AR.
This hormone is THE stress hormone. Basically, the more we get stressed, the more our cortisol rises.
Now that you’re in your 3rd decade, you’ve undoubtedly encountered numerous adversities and as you continue to walk through life, you’ll inevitably encounter more. Along with ageing, these are all factors contributing to higher levels of stress and consequently, cortisol.
Unfortunately though, excess levels of this stress hormone can also drive down testosterone. For T-boosters designed to impact men in their 30s, I think it’s imperative that you seek out ones with adaptogens that help you keep cortisol at bay.
- Rhodiola Rosea
- This herb is an adaptogen like no other. Instead of lowering cortisol, Rhodiola Rosea maintains levels of cortisol (and testosterone) as if you were never even stressed at all. Plus, it also seems capable of lowering estrogen in older men.
- Ashwagandha, Tongkat Ali, and Ginseng
- Besides the benefits of these herbs that I’ve previously mentioned, they also have their own anti-stress properties.
Now that we’ve discussed these anti-T hormones, let’s move on to the last and final feature that I think a T-booster for men over 30 should have.
EASY-TO-ABSORB T-BOOSTING NUTRIENTS
As we get older, our body’s ability to absorb nutrients gradually declines. Along with age, this also contributes to why older men tend to have lower testosterone than their younger counterparts.
As such, I think a good quality multivitamin is a vital part of any mature man’s stack. In T-booster supplements for 30 year old men, it’s especially important for vitamins and minerals to be top-shelf quality. This not only helps ease the absorption process, but also makes testosterone boosting that much more efficient. The next time you look at a testosterone supplement’s formula, look for the following nutrients, too:
- In my opinion, Zinc is among the best minerals for testosterone. Not only is it required for testosterone synthesis, it also helps maintain high levels of T after exercise.
- Like I’ve previously mentioned, this mineral helps boost “free” testosterone by disrupting the bond between T and SHBG
- You already know that Boron has anti-SHBG and anti-estrogen properties but what makes this mineral extra special is that it boosts other testosterone boosters (i.e Magnesium and Vitamin D).
- Vitamin D
- From what I know, Vitamin D deficiency is the most wide-spread nutritional disorder in the world. This is unfortunate because this vitamin has been strongly linked to testosterone and we actually get it free from the sun.
- B Vitamins
- In particular, Vitamin B6 and B12. These are vitamins that help improve testosterone and sperm respectively. Furthermore, B Vitamins in general help our bodies convert food into energy.
- Vitamin K
- I haven’t seen a lot of T-booster supplements include this vitamin in their formulas but with promising research supporting its use as a testosterone booster, I wouldn’t be surprised if more products use Vitamin K in the near future.
RECAP: MY BEST T-BOOSTERS FOR MEN OVER 30
|T-Booster Supplement||My Review||Website|
|#1 – Performance Lab Sport T-Booster||My Review||www.performancelab.com|
|#2 – Prime Male||My Review||www.primemale.com|
|#3 – TestoFuel||My Review||www.testofuel.com|
|#4 – Test Freak||My Review||www.pharmafreak.com|
|#5 – Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone||My Review||www.nugenix.com|
Again, let me remind you that the official list of T-boosters you see here are the supplements that I personally deemed most suitable for men over 30. From my point of view, I have more than a few good reasons to believe that they effectively tackle the distinct needs of this particular demographic.
With that said, men in their 30s generally go through the same T-related changes. However, I do know that each man is also different from the other. As such, I hope this article guides you to the right testosterone booster that you feel is best for you. To help you further your search towards the most suitable testosterone supplement, allow me to point you to the other archives of this website