Generally, being in our 20s is the time of our lives and a lot of this is because we’re quite literally overflowing with testosterone. Our stamina is at its highest, our libido seems unquenchable, and an athletic physique appears to be quite manageable. In essence, virtually everything we consider masculine comes relatively easy.
So, why even boost testosterone in the first place?
Well, for the most part, 20-something year olds don’t need to but that doesn’t mean T-boosters are useless. Remember all those things you thought you were on top of like as sex and fitness? With effective testosterone boosters, your best can become even better.
Through this article, allow me to help you find the most suitable T-booster for YOU. I’ll start with a quick overview of what I consider the best T-Booster supplements for men over 20 followed by my thoughts and theories on how I came up with the list. Let’s get to it.
Best T-Booster Supplements – Men Over 20
THIS ENDS MY LIST OF THE BEST T-BOOSTERS FOR MEN OVER 20 BUT LET ME MAKE SOMETHING CLEAR
The products I showed you here are what I personally deemed best for men in their 20s. However, that’s not to say that these are the only good ones.
If you feel like this list is insufficient, that’s perfectly fine. The natural testosterone boosting industry is growing larger every day and there’s literally hundreds if not thousands of T-booster supplements to choose from this 2018. With that said, let’s move on to answering what may perhaps be the most critical question of this article…
WHAT HAPPENS TO TESTOSTERONE LEVELS AFTER AGE 20?
Allow me to answer this with science.
According to a study, a man’s testosterone levels peak at about age 19 (15.4 nmol/L). At age 40, this number drops to about 13.0 nmol/L which accounts for around a 15% drop in total T. Furthermore, multiple researchers have stated that testosterone naturally starts to drop (yes, this happens) at around age 30 at a rate of about 1% each year.
Taking the results of all these studies into account, I think it’s safe to say that your testosterone is at its highest during puberty and remains high in your 20s. Essentially, you are currently at your manliest if you’re a 20-something year old. Hormonally speaking, that is.
So, what should you be expecting with all this manly testosterone?
Insane sex drive
- Your 20s should be when your libido is at its highest. From personal encounters, this is when sexual experience and performance is at its best, too.
- If you’re the dude who loves to train his muscles, your 2nd decade is where you should be getting the best results. This varies from person to person but generally, gaining muscle mass and strength while losing fat should be easiest here.
According to a research on age-related loss of muscle mass and strength, “muscle loss results in bone loss and weakening of tendons” because our muscles contribute to the maintenance of these other tissues.
Based on that statement, it can be concluded that during your 20s where your muscles are typically at their most powerful, your bones and tendons will also be at their healthiest.
- It has been documented that low T has a link with stress, mood swings, depression, and brain fog, along with several other mental health problems. This could be because our brains also have testosterone receptors. In your 20s where testosterone is at its highest, mental health issues such as these are unlikely related to T levels.
From my observations, these 3 should be the most obvious benefits of having prime testosterone during your 20s. However, because testosterone is responsible for virtually all things we consider manly, there’s plenty more good about having high T.
For instance, these younger years should also be where your cardiac system is in tip-top shape. Testosterone helps produce red blood cells which then helps deliver oxygen to the rest of your body; I don’t need to explain how oxygen is important to us, do I?
Now, with testosterone and all its manly benefits at its highest, why even boost T? To that I say, “wouldn’t you want to raise your peak even higher?” With natural testosterone boosters, you can do just that. On that note…
WHAT SHOULD MEN OVER THE AGE OF 20 LOOK FOR IN A TESTOSTERONE BOOSTER SUPPLEMENT?
Like I said, there’s an abundance of testosterone booster supplements in the market but not all of them actually work. Furthermore, a good bulk of those that are supposed to have effective formulas may not necessarily be useful to men in their 20s because these men have unique needs and priorities from men belonging to other age groups.
In fact, I feel like its pointless for the younger population to take some of the supplements on my official list of the best testosterone boosters last 2017.
That said, I think the best T-Booster supplements for men over 20 are ones that propel the fundamental characteristics of testosterone even higher
Unlike testosterone supplements geared towards the older population where the typical goal is to delay and counter the side effects of declining T, it is my opinion that testosterone boosting products designed for young males should be ones that improve on what’s already there. After all, men in their 20s already have solid ground (i.e. high testosterone) to build on.
Consequently, I feel like these supplements should – for the most part:
- Boost muscle growth
- Amplify strength and endurance
- Incinerate fat
- Enhance libido and bedroom performance
- Bolster motivation and cognition
In truth, all these benefits are typical claims of most T-boosters on the market. I mean, after all the product reviews I’ve written and the books and catalogues I’ve read, I have yet to see a single testosterone booster that doesn’t at least market one (if not most) of these benefits.
However, claiming and actually accomplishing are two very different things, which brings us to the next question:
What features should a T-booster for men over 20 have?
From here on, I’ll be sharing my thoughts and theories on what to look for in a testosterone boosting supplement if you’re a 20-something year old dude who’s looking to maximize his already high levels of testosterone. Also, I’ll show you some of the testosterone booster ingredients that make these features happen. Let’s start!
DOMINATING TESTOSTERONE SUPPORT
However, for men in their 20s, it’s not as simple as boosting any kind of test. Because your total testosterone levels are already at their peak, you’re going to want a formula that focuses on boosting bioavailable T instead. What’s the difference?
Total Testosterone VS Bioavailable Testosterone
As its name so obviously suggests, total T is the total amount of testosterone that you have in your body. On a more detailed look though, total T is the sum of 3 subtypes of testosterone. Namely:
- “Free” Testosterone
- Albumin-bound Testosterone
- SHBG-bound Testosterone
Basically, your bioavailable test is comprised of “free” and albumin-bound testosterone. These are the hormones that are ready to interact with androgen receptors all around your body. In a nutshell, bioavilable test is your testosterone that works.
On the other hand, SHBG is like an annoyingly clingy girlfriend that doesn’t let you go out with your buds. Because of the extremely tight connection between SHBG and T, SHBG-bound testosterone are unavailable to interact with androgen receptors which effectively renders them useless. What a waste, right? That said, I suggest you look for a T-booster that boosts “free” and bioavailable testosterone by limiting the activity of SHBG.
- This mineral is one of the most fast acting testosterone boosters used in supplements. In terms of boosting “free” T, it can significantly lower levels of SHBG in a matter of 6 hours.
- Unlike Boron that decreases SHBG, research suggests that Magnesium can inhibit/modulate the connection between SHBG and testosterone resulting in more bioavailable test.
- Stinging Nettle – This herb has compounds (lignans) that bind to SHBG in place of testosterone. The result is, of course, higher levels of “free” T.
D-Aspartic Acid (DAA) is another strong testosterone booster that’s worth mentioning here. In fact, one research has shown a 42% boost in testosterone in just 12 days of DAA supplementation. From what I know, those numbers might make it the most definitive natural testosterone booster today.
However, DAA seems to boost total testosterone rather than “free” T. As such, I think it’s an excellent idea to combine DAA with the above SHBG-inhibitting ingredients. That way, you get the powerful T boosts from DAA without having to worry about the T-binding effects of SHBG.
Let’s face it. In your tender young age, looking good, lean, and muscular is probably the main reason why you’re even looking into natural testosterone boosters. However, as you might have already realized, achieving an aesthetic physique isn’t as simple as your favorite Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube stars make it out to be.
Obviously, regular exercise and a steady diet will be your bread and butter and it will get you results. A lot of times though, bodybuilding supplements will make the entire process that much easier. On that note, I think men in their 20s should look for a testosterone booster that focuses on mitigating the many challenges of bodybuilding (e.g. burning fat, muscle strengthening, muscle growth) while simultaneously boosting T. That said, keep an eye out for the following ingredients:
- As one research states, Fenugreek supplementation “demonstrated significant anabolic and androgenic activity”. Furthermore, the results of the study showed an increase in testosterone as well as lower body fat without loss of strength.
- Coleus Forskohlii
- This herb has the active ingredient Forskolin which, according to research, gives it the ability to increase lean body mass while also significantly boosting testosterone.
- Among its many positives on male health, its benefits on testosterone and physical performance might be my favorites. As research shows, it can improve speed, power, and endurance.
Kind of like how building muscle isn’t all about lifting weights, boosting testosterone ironically isn’t just about boosting testosterone. I believe the most suitable T-boosters for men in their 20s are ones with formulas that find ways so that *other hormones and enzymes don’t compromise a young dude’s already high T levels.
Aside from SHBG which we’ve already talked about, these *other hormones are DHT and, perhaps more importantly, estrogen, and cortisol. Let’s get to them one by one.
Like testosterone, DHT is an androgen and just like any other androgen, both of them attach to androgen receptors to help develop our masculine characteristics. Moreover, testosterone is actually converted into DHT by an enzyme called 5-alpha-reductase (5AR).
Typically, most testosterone boosters (especially ones designed for aging males) utilize 5AR-inhibitors to prevent the conversion of T into DHT and thereby indirectly boosting testosterone.
However, although testosterone rules over skeletal muscle, DHT is actually a more potent androgen everywhere else. For young men who’re still in their developing stages, I think it’s vital for T-booster supplements to find a balance between boosting T and maintaining healthy levels of DHT. In my opinion, pairing anti-DHT (5AR-inhibitors) with pro-DHT ingredients is the easiest way to do just that.
- Fenugreek and Stinging Nettle – We’ve covered theses two herbs in the previous features but they both also limit testosterone’s conversion into DHT.
- Saw Palmetto – This plant’s berries hold fatty acids that inhibit 5AR activity. Consequently, it’s also a popular remedy for benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH).
- Pro-DHT ingredients
- Boron – More than a testosterone booster, it might be more accurate to say that Boron boosts androgens because of its ability to also increase DHT.
Aside from 5AR, our bodies have another enzyme called aromatase that converts testosterone into another hormone. With aromatase though, our T ultimately becomes the female hormone estrogen.
Unfortunately, with more testosterone in your system, the aromatase enzyme has more raw material to work on which then leads to higher levels of estrogen as well. When this happens, you’ll also find it harder to burn fat especially around your midsection and your chest (aka man-boobs). As such, I believe well-rounded T-boosters for men over 20 should also have aromatase inhibitors, such as:
- Luteolin – Found in all plant foods, Luteolin is a a compound – or more specifically, a flavonoid – that holds plenty of anti-aromatase promise.
- Diindolylmethane (DIM) – I’ve seen this being used in test boosters more than Luteolin so I assume it’s also more popular. However, although it does have anti-aromatase properties, most studies surround DIM are mostly centered on women.
- Boron, Fenugreek, and Stinging Nettle – Yup. These 3 again. So, aside from regulating DHT (and lowering SHBG for Stinging Nettle and Boron), these ingredients also help keep estrogen levels at bay.
Unfortunately, your body interprets physical activities such as exercise as stress. With cortisol being THE stress hormone, its levels also rises the more you lace up those training shoes. Even more unfortunate though is that chronically high levels of cortisol have been observed to drive down levels of testosterone. When this happens, your body’s anabolic potential drops, too.
For young gym-rats who’re supposed to be at their peak, this can be a nightmare. For this reason, I believe the best T-boosters for 20-something year old men should have adaptogens or ingredients that help your body adjust to stress, including:
- Tongkat Ali – Popular around the world for its benefits on libido and fertility but it also carries testosterone boosting and cortisol-reducing properties.
- Ashwagandha – Besides bolstering physical performance and testosterone, this herb is generally great for bodybuilding because it also helps lower cortisol.
- Rhodiola Rosea – Rather than lowering cortisol, this herb maintains its levels as if you didn’t undergo any sort of stress at all. Quite the unique mechanism if you ask me.
- Panax Ginseng – Ginsengs are generally great for stress-relief, energy, and sex. Panax Ginseng, to be more specific, might also have T-boosting properties albeit being supported by old and, quite frankly, out-dated research.
HIGH QUALITY VITAMINS AND MINERALS
Being young, your body naturally absorbs nutrients better than your older, more wrinkly counterpart. However, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t consider easy-to-absorb, potent, and top-shelf vitamins and minerals.
Regardless of age, your body literally lives on nutrients and although you might get away with cheap multivitamins while you’re young, that’s not necessarily the best option. That being said, I believe the premiere T-boosters for men over 20 should include V&M’s that aren’t taxing to absorb. Keep the T-boosting nutrients below in mind and make sure to check their qualities the next time you shop for a testosterone booster.
- Boron and Magnesium – Both of these minerals do more than just block SHBG. Boron, in particular, also helps boost other T-booting nutrients (i.e.Vitamin D and Magnesium) while Magnesium also helps with relaxation and recovery.
- Zinc – Perhaps the most essential mineral for testosterone, Zinc is a raw material needed for T production. Plus, it helps keep testosterone levels high after exercise which I think makes it sort of like n adaptogen.
- Vitamin D – Higher levels of Vitamin D have been correlated to higher levels of testosterone so make sure to get as much as you can.
- B Vitamins – More specifically, Vitamin B6. Like Vitamin D, the levels of this vitamin seem to be directly proportional to how much T you have. Generally though, all B vitamins help convert food into energy and that’s always a good thing.
- Vitamin K – I consider this the underdog of T-boosting because it tends to get overlooked in a lot of testosterone boosting products despite its potential for raising test.
When you’re looking for a natural testosterone booster that’s specifically designed for athletes and active young men, a lot of times you’ll find Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6 clumped together. This particular combination has become known as ZMA and athletes have been using the trio not just for testosterone, but also for recovery and performance.
REFINED BEDROOM SKILLS
All this talk about maximizing testosterone to build a better physique but let’s be real honest here – we’re not actually doing this for ourselves, right? We’re doing it for the ladies. I mean, why even bother with the gym when you can’t laid? You’re not actually satisfied with just jacking off, are you?
Of course you’re not. That being said, boosting testosterone almost automatically grants you an even higher libido but using T-boosting ingredients that have been scientifically proven to also improve sex doesn’t hurt either. Obviously, it’s actually quite pleasurable to both you and your woman.
- Mucuna Pruriens
- Supports enhanced testosterone production both directly and indirectly but has also been found effective for improving libido.
- Fenugreek, Tongkat Ali, and Ashwagandha
- Ah, these herbs again. As you might have already noticed, these herbs are quite the multitaskers. To be fair though, most testosterone boosting herbs started as traditional libido boosters but as modern science has uncovered, not all of them are capable of boosting T. Which brings me to…
TESTOSTERONE BOOSTERS THAT YOU SHOULD AVOID IF YOU’RE A MAN IN HIS 20S
Numerous websites (e.g. Amazon, GNC, and Bodybuilding) sell a lot of T-boosting supplements that claim powerful testosterone boosts when in fact, they’re mostly just boosting libido. This induced feeling of insane sex drive can be confusing, I know, especially for a young dude who hasn’t had the privilege of age to wise up. Hence, be weary of the following libido boosters that don’t boost T:
- Tribulus Terrestris – Falsely marketed as a powerful testosterone, strength, and libido booster but in reality, it neither increases the testosterone nor the anabolism of young males.
- Maca – Also known as Peruvian Ginseng, Maca boosts libido without having any effect on T.
- Horny Goat Weed – More testosterone mimic than testosterone booster, this herb makes you horny without the benefit of higher test.
There are lot more herbs out there that bolster sex drive without affecting testosterone but based on my observations, these three are the most common culprits. For an older dude who just wants to turn back the hands of time and relive his youthful life, I think having these herbs can be justified. However, for young dudes who live and breathe the rusty metal plates of the gym, these are just useless.
RECAP: MY BEST T-BOOSTERS FOR MEN OVER 20
|T-Booster Supplement||My Review||Website|
|#1 – TestoFuel||My Review||www.testofuel.com|
|#2 – Performance Lab Sport T-Booster||My Review||www.performancelab.com|
|#3 – EVLTest||My Review||www.evlnutrition.com|
|#4 – Quantum T||My Review||www.mtheorysupplements.com|
|#5 – Prime Male||My Review||www.primemale.com|
In summary, young men like you are the dudes with the highest levels of testosterone and therefore, you’re also the ones that innately experience the best T-related benefits. However, just because your testosterone is higher than the older population doesn’t mean that you can’t benefit from effective testosterone boosters.
In my opinion, the best T-boosters for men over 20 are ones that further improve your naturally high inherent potential and it all starts with SHBG inhibition. From there, you can unleash your testosterone’s latent potential and, since young men tend to value muscle over the many other benefits of high T, I believe the most suitable T-boosters for these dudes are ones with features that help channel all this “free” testosterone into bolstering anabolism.
That said, I do understand that not 100 percent of young men prioritize building muscle. Some men want higher libido, better cognition, or any of testosterone’s several benefits. Don’t worry because boosted “free” T can grant you those, too. If in any case the supplements I suggested here aren’t to your liking, I have a wide archive of T-booster reviews to help broaden your choices.
To end, I hope I helped give you a better understanding on T-boosters designed for 20 year old men. Now, go out there, search for the right testosterone supplement for YOU, and make your best even better.