Quick Take: I’ll be honest (like I always am). The first time I read the name of this supplement, I was excited because the word “Sparta” was in there. I thought Spartagen was going to GENerate some kind of SPARTAn warrior out of meager fools. However, for a product advertised to be an “advanced testosterone support”, there’s really not a lot of test boosting going on in this formula. Instead, it opts for a sex-focused approach. If it’s good or bad, you’ll have to find out by reading through this review.
- A product of the controversial Edge Bioactives, Spartagen XT is a supplement for the ladies man.
- Advertised in their website to “Regain your natural drive”.
- The video that automatically plays in their website states that while women won’t leave you for not having abs, she could if your sex is bad. Pretty interesting claim to make.
- Includes the individual elements of the ZMA trio. Forms and dosages will be discussed further below.
- Has two separate prop blends supposedly for testosterone and sex.
- Available to buy online and in retail stores including Amazon. I couldn’t find it in GNC though.
Spartagen XT Ingredients
|Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol)||4000 IU|
|Vitamin E (as d-alpha-tocopheryl succinate)||80 IU|
|Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine Hcl)||12 mg|
|Magnesium (as magnesium aspartate)||50 mg|
|Zinc (as zinc oxide)||30 mg|
|Proprietary Testosterone Activation StackTongkat Ali 100:1 Extract (Eurycoma longifolia)(root), Tribulus Extract (fruit)(Min. 60% total saponins, ^20% protodioscin)||290 mg|
|Proprietary Sex Drive Amplification MatrixAsian Ginseng Extract (whole plant)( ^20% ginsenosides), Maca (root), Butea Superba extract (root)||440 mg|
Spartagen XT’s T-Boosters & Other Ingredients
Vitamin D – This vitamin is linked to healthy levels of testosterone but unfortunately, it’s widely deficient in today’s generation. Spartagen XT manages to supply this essential vitamin in its best form and at a decent dose too.
Vitamin E – According to this article, Vitamin E provides a lot of health benefits because of its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. However, it is by no means a testosterone booster.
Vitamin B6 – Vitamin B6 is believed to have some kind of influence on processes that bind and inactivate testosterone. Keyword there being “believed”. More studies are needed to figure out exactly how to this vitamin influences test. Regardless, low levels of this vitamin have been linked to low levels of test which could mean that it’s essential for maintaining healthy levels of testosterone. And although the form used here isn’t the best (P-5-P is better), the dosage is pretty good.
Magnesium – A mineral that could inhibit the T-binding activities of SHBG and reduce the testosterone depleting effects of stress. The form given here is about average but the dosage pretty much renders it useless.
Zinc – Personally, I think Zinc is the manliest mineral because without it, there would be no testosterone synthesis. It’s a shame that Spartagen XT uses Zinc Oxide because this form is water insoluble and very poorly absorbed by our bodies.
Chrysin – It’s been used by some testosterone boosters because of it’s reputation as an aromatase inhibitor. However, Chrysin ONLY works if directed injected into the testicles. Pretty questionable choice of ingredient if you ask me. According to this study, oral ingestion of foods containing Chrysin did not affect levels of testosterone.
Proprietary Testosterone Activation Stack
- Tongkat Ali – According to this study, TA can increase levels of testosterone by 37% while decreasing cortisol by 16%. That’s great! And what makes it even better is that Spartagen XT supplies this manly herb at a potent 100:1 extract.
- Tribulus – Standardized to a minimum of 60% saponins and 20% protodioscin, Tribulus here is definitely given in high quality. It’s been used by a lot of testosterone and bodybuilding products but it doesn’t really boost test. It’s great for enhancing sex drive though.
Proprietary Sex Drive Amplification Matrix
- Asian Ginseng – Standardized to 20% ginsenosides, Asian ginseng is a great ingredient for enhancing masculine health. Sadly, even at this potent form, Asian Ginseng doesn’t really do much for testosterone.
- Maca – Another great herb for enhancing sex and sperm. Again, not a T-booster.
- Butea Superba – A popularly used herb in Thailand for enhancing sex drive. Not a testosterone booster.
Spartagen XT Directions
I actually had a really hard time finding this. The official websites of other supplements are where I usually find the ingredients and the directions to taking it but for Spartagen XT, I’m not even sure if there is an actual “official” website. There’re plenty of Spartagen XT websites that circulate the internet and apparently, all of them offer 51% discount. Which is really weird to me. Sounds like a scam, really. Eventually, I did find the official website for Edge Bioactives but I still couldn’t find the directions listed there.
Anyhow, I did manage to find the directions on another website dedicated to Spartagen XT. As per what I read, you’re advised to take 2 capsules (1 serving) daily with food. Athletes, bodybuilders, and men over the age of 50 are advised to consider double dosing. No need for cycling.
As always, let’s start with the ingredients that aren’t part of the prop blends. The formula manages to include Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6 – the three ingredients used in the legendary ZMA trio. However, Zinc is given at one of its worst forms, Magnesium is poorly dosed, and Vitamin B6 is average in both form and dosage. For these 3 as whole, execution is weak for what would have been great decisions. Vitamin E doesn’t really do smack for testosterone and Chrysin is basically useless unless injected directly to the marbles and no man probably wants that. Thankfully, the formula includes the best form of Vitamin D. However, even if the dose is decent, it’s not enough to make up for ZMA’s slack.
Now we move on to the first prop blend: Proprietary Testosterone Activation Stack. If we take the prop blend word for word, it’s meant to activate the supposed testosterone boosts. First of all, unless you already have a healthy supply of testosterone to work with, there’s really not much to “activate” considering the meager boosts you get from this supplement. Secondly, there’s not a lot of activation going on here too considering that Tribulus only focuses on sex. Tongkat Ali at a concentrated 100:1 form, on the other hand, is great for testosterone and controlling stress. However, even that comes secondary to this herbs legendary libido boosting prowess.
Last but definitely not the least, we have Proprietary Sex Drive Amplification Matrix. And I say “definitely not the least” because I believe this is where Spartagen XT bets its money and I have three reasons why I can say this. First, if you’ve noticed, this is the highest dosed part of the entire formula. Secondly, while the rest of the formula looks poorly designed, this part actually hits the target spot on. With Ginseng, Maca, and Butea Superba, I’m almost certain you’ll feel an improvement in your sex drive. Lastly, with a sex-enhancing ingredients Tribulus and Tongkat Ali leaking through the prop blend that was supposedly meant for test boosts, I can affirm that the entire formula was mainly meant for sex and maybe testosterone as a side trick.
Does it Work?
For testosterone? Frankly, I’m not so sure. Vitamin D, although given at its best form and at a decent dosage, doesn’t really boost testosterone per se. Rather, it maintains or returns testosterone to a healthy level. If the formula does boost testosterone, I think it would be thanks to Tongkat Ali but even if it does, it would probably be at a minimal.
Now, if the question was if it worked for sex, then I’d confidently tell you yes because after analyzing the formula ingredients, I realized that the formula IS made for sex. If you’re the dude who’s only considering testosterone boosters strictly for use in the bedroom, you could almost definitely benefit from a formula like this. If you are however, looking for the other benefits of testosterone such as using it in bodybuilding and overall masculine health, other well-rounded supplements could be a better fit.
- Natural ingredients – Nothing here is derived from a laboratory. All of the ingredients found in this formula are manly gifts from Mother Nature.
- Quality choices – Not all of them, but there are a few standardized, concentrated, and top quality forms in the formula.
- Testosterone boosters – Again, not all of them. There still are a few though so that needs to be noted. Specifically, the ZMA trio, Vitamin D, and Tongkat Ali.
- Sex – Honestly, is there such a thing as too much sex?
- Safe – From the customer reviews I’ve read, there doesn’t seem to be any complaints of major side effects. My only concern here is Butea Superba. It’s an exotic ingredient that I rarely see in test boosters so I’m not really sure how it would react combined with the other ingredients in this formula. Nonetheless, the formula should still be safe.
- Little to no test boosts – As a supplement that labels itself as a testosterone booster, this is actually pretty disappointing.
- Weak execution – Specifically regarding the ZMA trio. This would’ve been a great addition to the formula and could’ve added an athletic twist if they utilized this properly.
- Reputation – Just do a search on Sportagen XT and you’ll immediately see headlines asking if it’s a scam or if it actually even works. Which brings me to…
- Scam – There’s probably nothing on here that’s worse than this. Sportagen XT has earned its scammer reputation for good reason. If you’re not careful, you could be enrolled in their autoship program and they’ll charge you money for something you didn’t even ask for. As an example, if you forget to un-tick a certain pre-checked box, you’ll be enrolled in some kind of coaching program and you’ll be charged 80$ a month. Ludicrous.
- Prop blends – There’s not even a whole lot of ingredients inside the two prop blends so I really don’t understand why it’s even necessary to hide their dosages.
The Bottom Line
Well, it’s obvious that I wouldn’t even consider putting this on the same list as my favorite testosterone boosters. While it does look great for sex, there are other bona fide testosterone boosters in the market that not only do as much for sex, some even do better with the added benefit of muscle building, performance enhancing, stamina increasing, and other masculine effects of testosterone. Also, this would’ve gotten a high rating from me but their scammer reputation puts a big dent to their score.