Quick Take: NOW Sports supplies a wide range of products from beauty products to pet supplies. Would you believe it if I told you they sold sports and bodybuilding supplements, too? I shit you not, friend. Today’s review is all about NOW Sports’ ZMA and for the prices it’s being sold at, it’s actually pretty good. Let’s check it out.
- A product of NOW Sports, ZMA is under the brand’s Sports Nutrition line of supplements.
- Advertised on their label as simply made for “Sports Recovery”.
- Can be taken by both men and women under different dosages
- Has heavy individual dosages of Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6
- Also throws in a separate dose of the trademarked ZMA®
- Available to buy online and in retail stores including Amazon and GNC
NOW ZMA Ingredients
|Vitamin B-6 (from Pyridoxine HCl)||15 mg|
|Magnesium (from Magnesium Aspartate)||450 mg|
|Zinc (from Zinc Mono-L-methionine and Zinc Aspartate)||30 mg|
|ZMA® (complex of Zinc Mono-L-methionine, Magnesium/Zinc Aspartate, and Pyridoxine HCl)||2.4 g (2,400 mg)|
NOW ZMA’s T-Boosters & Other Ingredients
Vitamin B6 – According to this study, low levels of Vitamin B6 correlated to lower levels of testosterone. This suggests that healthy levels of this vitamin are essential to healthy test. Also, Pyridoxine HCl isn’t exactly the best form of Vitamin B6 but this heavy 15 mg dosage more than makes up for it.
Magnesium – This mineral is involved in over 300 enzymatic functions so it shouldn’t be any surprise that is has some say in testosterone. Also important to athletes, is Magnesium’s impact on improving sleep and reducing stress, along with so many more benefits. This Aspartate form isn’t what I’d usually recommend but this 450 mg dosage is legit.
Zinc – This could very well be the best mineral for testosterone. NOW ZMA supplies this in two forms: Mono-L-methionine and Aspartate. As with Magnesium, Aspartate isn’t the best form there is but Mono-L-methionine is a superiorly absorbed form that I will personally vouch for. This heavy 30 mg dosage is what you’d generally like to see in Zinc supplements, too.
NOW ZMA Directions
Each serving of NOW ZMA consists of 3 capsules but according to NOW, men and women should be taking ZMA at different amounts.
- For men – 3 capsules on an empty stomach 30-60 minutes before sleeping
- For women – 2 capsules on an empty stomach 30-60 minutes before sleeping
As suggested by research, “high-calcium diets can reduce net zinc absorption” so avoid taking dairy or any calcium rich products with NOW ZMA.
Marketed as simply being designed for “Sports Recovery”, NOW ZMA is exactly what it is advertised to be – a supplement to aid athletes recover from their training. That said, don’t expect it to be among the most powerful testosterone boosters. However, just because it’s not the most powerful, doesn’t mean it’s not essential to healthy test.
When you sweat, a multitude of ingredients seep out of your system including Magnesium and Zinc. As I’ve already portrayed earlier, both these minerals (along with Vitamin B6) play important roles in maintaining healthy testosterone. Thus, when these nutrients are deficient, testosterone levels will most likely decline along with them.
When athletes experience low testosterone, recovering from exercises takes longer and that becomes a problem. NOW ZMA helps with this issue by supplying not 1, but two sources of ZMA. Mind you, both sources are heavily dosed, too. Wonderful!
Also, our muscles recover and heal themselves best when we’re sleeping. NOW ZMA helps with that as well, as this legendary trio has been known for quite some time now to improve the quality and ease of sleep.
Does it Work?
For testosterone? Sure. However, it’s important to note that ZMA only works on testosterone if you’re deficient on either or all of the included nutrients. For a more complete testosterone boosting experience, I think it would be best to pair NOW ZMA with another, more powerful “day time” testosterone supplement (like TestoFuel).
Now, recovery and sleep is a whole different story when it comes to NOW ZMA. With heavy dosages of Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6, plus an even heavier dose of the trademarked ZMA® from SNAC, you’ll be sleeping like a baby and wake up feeling like a champion.
- Dosage – 2 sources of ZMA and both are dosed like tanks
- Sleep – Living an active lifestyle requires a healthy amount of ZZZ’s.
- ZMA® – Including this trademarked ZMA was a good move.
- Affordable – You can get this on Amazon for less than 20 bucks. That’s a pretty good deal.
- Side effects – Well, the side effects aren’t drastic so don’t go clicking away like a pussy. The side effects include snoring and sleep talking/walking. If you count having vivid dreams as a side effect, then there’s that too.
- Hard to swallow – That’s what she said. Ha! Kidding. Anyways, I’ve read from the customer reviews that the pills can be a bit hard to swallow. Don’t choke on it, bro.
The Bottom Line
If you’re looking for a testosterone booster to take with your workouts, you’re looking at the wrong stuff. In fact, you probably shouldn’t even consider NOW ZMA as a test booster because it’s not designed for that purpose. NOW ZMA is the supplement you’d want to take later in the day (like, 30-60 minutes before bed kind of late) to expedite muscle growth and training progression through improved sleep and recovery. For that purpose, NOW ZMA works.