Quick Take: As kids, I’m pretty sure we all imagined ourselves having superpowers. It’s geeky now but let’s be honest – it was the sh*t back in the day. Fast forward to the present, we’re now mature enough to know that it’s impossible to breathe fire or shoot lasers from our eyes. We can, however, build a physique that rivals the superheroes of our childhood fantasies. How? The answer, as KA-POW! K.O. suggests, is sleep and testosterone. Let’s get to the review.
- A product of Hero Supplements, KA-POW! K.O. is a comic book themed supplement
- Advertised on its label to be an “overnight anabolic booster”
- Has ZMA albeit low dosage and poor quality
- Has a prop blend of 9 ingredients that include several well-known testosterone boosters sharing a meager 915 mg
- Also has melatonin, L-Theanine, and Valerian to help put you to bed
- I can’t seem to find this supplement on GNC but it is available to buy on Amazon for about $28
KA-POW! K.O. Ingredients
|Vitamin B-6 (as Pyridoxine HCl)||3 mg|
|Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide)||150 mg|
|Zinc (as Zinc Oxide)||10 mg|
|KA-POW! K.O.™ Overnight Andro-bolic™ Muscle Growth Matrix||915 mg|
|Tribulus Terrestris (Supplying 45% saponins)||**|
|Boron Citrate (Supplying 5% boron)||**|
|Stinging Nettle Extract (4:1)||**|
|Fenugreek Seed Extract (Trigonella foenum-graecum) (Supplying 45% saponins)||**|
|Valerian Extract (Root)||**|
KA-POW! K.O.’s T-Boosters & Other Ingredients
Vitamin B-6 – Given as Pyridoxine HCl, this isn’t quite the best form for Vitamin B6 and with just 3 mg, this isn’t the best dosage either. A shame, really, since rat research suggests it may be essential in maintaining healthy levels of testosterone.
Magnesium – Boosts “free” testosterone via SHBG reduction. Additionally, Magnesium also reduces the oxidative stress that comes from physical exercise, making it pretty good supplement for athletes. However, oxide is the cheapest and least absorbed form of Magnesium, making this supposedly okay 150 mg dose a bit too low for my liking.
Zinc – If this isn’t the best mineral for testosterone then it’s at least right up there. Zinc has direct involvement in testosterone production and release because, simply said, our bodies can’t make testosterone without it. Like Magnesium though, Oxide is the least absorbed form of Zinc so I’m not too sure about this meager 10 mg dose.
KA-POW! K.O.™ Overnight Andro-bolic™ Muscle Growth Matrix
- Tribulus Terrestris – Standardized for 45% saponins, KA-POW! K.O. certainly has potent Tribulus Terrestris. However, it’s not a testosterone booster. It’s pretty great for libido though.
- Boron – If Zinc was the best mineral for testosterone, Boron comes at a really close second especially at this potent citrate form. This mineral boosts androgens (testosterone and DHT) as well as other testosterone boosters (Magnesium and Vitamin D). Moreover, Boron also reduces levels of estriadol and SHBG, essentially leading to more “free” test and lower estrogen.
- Mucuna Pruriens – One of the most promising natural test boosters because of its active compound L-DOPA. This compound increases levels of LH which theoretically could then signal our bodies to release more testosterone.
- Stinging Nettle – Has aromatase, 5a-reductase, and SHBG inhibiting properties that basically lower levels of estrogen, DHT, and… well… SHBG (respectively). This, in turn, elevates levels of “free” testosterone. The 4:1 extract makes it pretty high quality as well.
- Fenugreek – This herb has been used for bolstering both sexual and physical performance but it’s also a decent testosterone booster. Like Stinging Nettle, Fenugreek also increases “free” test via aromatase and 5a-reductase inhibition.
- DIM – A compound found in cruciferous vegetables that has aromatase inhibiting (estrogen lowering) capabilities.
- Ashwagandha – An adaptogenic herb that, as the name suggests, helps the body adapt to stress and anxiety, making it a promising sleep aid. More than that though, Ashwagandha has also shown to increase levels of testosterone and strengthen muscles.
- L-Theanine – Ever wondered why a lot of old people and hipsters drink tea? Well, L-Theanine may be one of the reasons. As a natural compound found in tea, L-Theanine calms the mind which, as research suggests, may improve the quality of sleep.
- Valerian –Europian herb that’s been used to make falling and staying asleep less of a chore.
- Melatonin – The actual hormone responsible for our sleep-wake cycles. Basically, more melatonin = more sleep.
Did you know? A lot of athletes have trouble falling asleep. A couple of factors that could very well be the reasons are Zinc and Magnesium deficiency. These nutrients seep out through sweat and obviously, athletes train and therefore sweat a lot. That said, supplementing on these two minerals (and melatonin) could improve the quality and ease of sleep. To prove my point, here’s some science.
A 2011 research studied the effects of Zinc, Magnesium, and Melatonin on primary insomnia. As you know, these three are all found in KA-POW! K.O. The researchers had their subjects supplement on these three and at the end of the study, the results concluded in them saying that not only did these three improve the quality of sleep, they also improve the quality of life. Cool, eh?
KA-POW! K.O. Directions
Every serving of KA-POW! K.O. consists of 2 capsules. Here are Hero Supplements’ instructions:
- Take 1-2 capsules around 30 minutes before sleeping
- Never go beyond 3 capsules in a 24-hour period
- Use for at least 60 days for best results
As the label says, KA-POW! K.O. is an “overnight anabolic booster”. Solely based on that statement, KA-POW! K.O. looks like it fits the bill but it honestly doesn’t look like the superman of the testosterone industry. Let me explain.
Ingredients wise, KA-POW! K.O. has all the good stuff. The formula starts with the legendary ZMA trio of Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6 – ingredients that help improve sleep quality, boost testosterone, and expedite muscle recovery. However, the dosage and quality of these ingredients are poor and therefore probably won’t make that much of an impact.
Next is the KA-POW! K.O.™ Overnight Andro-bolic™ Muscle Growth Matrix. The blend starts with Tribulus Terrestris which means that it gets the bulk of this puny 915 mg total dosage. No matter how potent this herb is, it still won’t do sh*t for testosterone. So far, KA-POW! K.O. is off to a really (REALLY!) bad start. Thankfully, the other ingredients on the blend look promising.
From Boron all the way down to Ashwagandha, these ingredients are great for total and “free” testosterone, estrogen reduction, and stress and cortisol relief. This set of effects are what you should be looking for in a supplement that prides itself in enhanced anabolism. Factor in the natural sleeping pills L-Theanine, Valerian, and Melatonin, KA-POW! K.O. is now looking like a promising “build muscle while you sleep” supplement.
The analysis isn’t done yet though. The KA-POW! K.O. prop blend has a handful of premium and highly potent ingredients. This is good. However, the total dosage of the prop blend is just 915 mg and with 9 ingredients sharing this tiny dose, the benefits of this supposedly solid group of ingredients are being limited.
Does it Work?
If the Amazon customer reviews are of any indication, then yes, I’d like to think KA-POW! K.O. works but more so in its sleep enhancing abilities than its testosterone boosting. You see, with ZMA, melatonin, L-Theanine, and Valerian, KA-POW! K.O. is highly capable of putting you to sleep.
I wish the same could be said for its testosterone boosting capabilities but the reality is, it’s just not up there with the some of the most powerful. Overall, the solid help you get in the Z’s department as well as the promising but somewhat limited anabolic boosts make for a decent hybrid supplement.
- Sleep – If there’s anything KA-POW! K.O. can do, it’s knock you out.
- Solid ingredients – Tribulus Terrestris is probably the only oddball here. The rest? Purdy darn good.
- Solid quality – I wish there could’ve been more but I’ll take Boron, Stinging Nettle, and Fenugreek.
- Anabolic – It’s limited by the puny dosages and cheap forms but the hormonal balance to promote a better anabolic internal environment should still be there.
- Tribulus Terrestris – Yeah. Like I said. It’s the only oddball. Sex is good though. *wink
- Total dosage – I did the math and 915 mg divided by 9 ingredients equals an average of 102 mg for each ingredient. Not bad but meh, it’s not good either.
- Proprietary – The total dosage sucks as it is but you had to hide the individual dosages, too? Wat d’ fook KA-POW! K.O.?!
- Cheap forms – A total of 13 ingredients in the formula and only 4 are given top-shelf qualities. Not a good look, KA-POW! K.O.
The Bottom Line
Superheroes with supernatural abilities aren’t real but even if it were, KA-POW! K.O. won’t be the supplement that’ll transform you into these beings of fiction. Regardless, KA-POW! K.O. is a decent hybrid that’ll knock you out and send you dreaming while also providing a tiny kick of anabolism for a little boost to developing muscles.