Quick Take: A lot of men who’re looking to build more muscle turn to testosterone boosters. This is because testosterone is an essential part of what makes us men the bulkier sex. However, a lot of men also tend to neglect the importance of sleep and recovery with regards to building muscle. Thankfully, supplements such as Z Matrix serve as a reminder to sleepless Alpha’s that, “Hey! It’s time to take a break!” Let’s get to the review and see how this sleep aid T-booster does its magic.
- A product of the bodybuilding company EVLUTION Nutrition, Z Matrix is advertised on their website to be a “nighttime repair and recovery formula”.
- Just in case you’re confused about that marketing slogan, the explanation is right on the label. Z Matrix is a “Sleep Amplifier” for deeper night time Z’s.
- As with a lot of other products focused on athletic recovery, Z Matrix also has a mini stack of the legendary ZMA.
- Z Matrix’s formula isn’t all ZMA though. It also has other cool ingredients in Vitamin D3 and L-Theanine.
- Bioperine®, which enhances the absorption of the entire formula, is also given here. Thank you, EVLution Nutrition!
- Available to buy online and in retail stores including Amazon and Bodybuilding (dot) com. GNC has other Evlution Nutrition products but I sadly can’t find Z Matrix there.
EVLUTION Nutrition Z-Matrix Ingredients
|Vitamin D3||500 IU|
|Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl)||11 mg|
|Folic Acid||100 mcg|
|Magnesium (as magnesium aspartate)||450 mg|
|Zinc (as mono-l-methionine and aspartate)||30 mg|
|Bioperine® black pepper extract||5 mg|
EVLUTION Nutrition Z-Matrix’s T-Boosters & Other Ingredients
Vitamin D3 – This might actually be the manliest vitamin for boosting testosterone. Why? Because first of all, it’s free. We get adequate doses of Vitamin D3 from exposure to the sun. Unfortunately though, a lot of us are cramped up inside 4 walls and a ceiling that we rarely get enough time for sunshine. Also, there are significant studies that support the positive influence of Vitamin D on testosterone (free and total) so it’s nice seeing it here. This 500 IU dose is weak though.
Vitamin B6 – The Pyridoxine HCl form isn’t the best form of Vitamin B6 (because P-5-P is so much better) but it’s the same form used in the original blend of ZMA so I’ll take it. EVLution Nutrition says that it enhances the absorption of Zinc and Magnesium. According to this study, that’s apparently true (for Zinc, at least). Also, this rat study states that Vitamin B6 depletion lead to lower levels of testosterone. In essence, having healthy levels of this B vitamin is crucial to maintaining healthy levels of test. The 11 mg supplied here looks strong.
Folic Acid – Another B vitamin makes its way into the formula. This one is important in the maintenance of healthy, new cells. It also plays an important role in DNA, RNA, red blood cell, and white blood cell synthesis. With deficient folic acid, one of the symptoms is fatigue and preventing that would probably be the reason why it’s found in multiple other testosterone boosting supplements. However, it doesn’t seem to have an influence in boosting test.
Magnesium – Given here as Magnesium Aspartate, it’s also not in the best form. But again, it’s the same form used in the original ZMA formula so it should work just fine. This 450 mg also looks pretty decent. Magnesium is involved in over 300 enzymatic reactions and a few of those include reducing oxidative stress, inhibiting SHBG for more “free” testosterone, and promoting anabolism. These are all important for bodybuilding and sports.
Zinc – One of the three elements that make up the ZMA trio, Zinc as mono-l-methionine and aspartate are also the same forms used in the original blend. Again, these aren’t the best forms but they should still work. Especially at this heavy dose of 30 mg. As a testosterone booster, Zinc is one of the best minerals because it serves as a raw material needed for test production while also managing its release. According to this study, Zinc supplementation significantly increased levels of “free” and total testosterone regardless if the athlete was rested or fatigued.
L-Theanine – This compound is commonly found in tea and it has shown benefits with regards to relaxing the mind and body which then leads to deeper, and sounder sleep. The 200 mg given here looks to be adequate.
Bioperine® – With regards to the purpose of Z-Matrix, one might think that BioPerine is useless. It has no influence on muscle growth, sleep and recovery, and also doesn’t have any sort of benefit on testosterone. However, it enhances the entire formula by increasing the absorption of each and every single ingredient found here. Also, it doesn’t need a whole lot of dosage so 5 mg should work wonderfully.
EVLUTION Nutrition Z-Matrix Directions
As a dietary supplement, take 1 serving (4 capsules) on an empty stomach 30-60 minutes prior to sleeping. Be sure to check the warning below.
In terms of being a Sleep Amplifier, EVLution Nutrition Z Matrix looks to be taking a step towards the right direction by simply adding in ZMA. I’ve been talking about this trio quite a bit in this review but I haven’t really gone into finer details so allow me to explain.
Aside from promoting muscle growth, physical performance, and testosterone, ZMA also enhances sleep and recovery. These effects are what makes the trio so legendary in athlete centered supplements. However, ZMA supplementation does come with a few side effects such as acne and snoring. If you ask me, those are side effects I can live with if it means I get to feel refreshed and recovered the moment I wake from my beauty sleep. Yes, men need beauty sleep too, bro. Don’t judge me.
Additionally, Z Matrix also has other useful ingredients apart from the ZMA combination. L-Theanine combined with the sleep benefits of ZMA should rock you to sleep and make sure you stay asleep until your muscles are recovered to the point where you can push them to their limits again the next day. Typically, I would question the inclusion of Folic Acid in testosterone boosting formulas simply because it doesn’t to boost test. However, given that the purpose of the formula is recovery, Folic Acid’s potential in maintaining healthy cells and energy levels should be quite useful.
So far, the formula looks pretty good but I did find an issue in Vitamin D3. Unless your day job requires you to spend at least a few minutes under the sun or you workout at some kind of outdoor gym, you’re probably not getting enough of this free sunshine vitamin. Having Vitamin D3 in your supplements would’ve been enough to make up for this but the 500 IU dose just doesn’t seem like it’s enough to compensate.
Lastly, I just need to note the importance of BioPerine in this formula. Given that the Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6 are the cake of this testosterone boosting product and they’re not at their most absorbable forms, this premium black pepper extract should prove to be quite useful due to its nutrient enhancing capabilities.
Does it Work?
For testosterone, you have the clinically proven ZMA. For sleep and recovery, the formula also has ZMA + L-Theanine and Folic Acid. So yeah, I’m pretty sure it works for its intended purpose.
However, I wouldn’t go and say that it’s the best nighttime formula simply because there were no upgrades to ZMA. For comparison, check out this other PM testosterone booster that has top quality Zinc and Magnesium.
- ZMA – Despite not having the best forms of these three ingredients, all their dosages are adequate.
- L-Theanine – A pretty solid addition that’s great for putting people to restorative sleep.
- Bioperine – To me personally, this alone adds at least half a star in ratings because it ups the bioavailability of the entire formula.
- Cheap – From online retailers that I’ve checked, it can be bought for as low as $12-14.
- EVLution Nutrition – Yup. I’m putting this here. The brand has some pretty cool bodybuilding supplements including a powerful testosterone booster in EVL test.
- Safe – From the customer reviews I’ve read, there doesn’t seem to reports of any major side effects. Aside from the minor side effects of ZMA, I actually expected this product to be quite safe because all the ingredients here are natural. Nothing here is synthetic and nothing is illegal so it should be safe for professional and competitive athletes and bodybuilders.
- Average – Well, average isn’t necessarily bad but it’s also nothing extraordinary.
- Vitamin D3 – If this was given a heavier dose, it could’ve added another layer of testosterone boosting to this formula.
- Reputation – To be very honest, users actually rate this pretty highly. However, I did find a few people saying that it’s not very good at putting them to sleep.
The Bottom Line
To conclude this review, I say EVLution Nutrition Z Matrix is a decent sleep aid testosterone booster. It doesn’t really have anything exceptional to put it in the same league as my list of the most powerful T boosters but with ZMA and L-Theanine, I believe it should still somewhat help get you to sleep without having you counting endless herds of sheep. Given how affordable this supplement is, it shouldn’t hurt too much to give it a try.