Maintaining testosterone is hard enough – and then you turn 50. While testosterone levels start to drop around age 30, after 50 low-T symptoms like belly fat, male sexual performance problems and muscle loss seem to get worse. The best T-boosters for men over 50 can help.
In this article, I first reveal my best testosterone supplements for mature men, specifically, age 50+. I then share my ideas and theories on what mature men should look for in a T-booster, explaining my supplement recommendations in greater detail. Let’s get to it!
Best T-Booster Supplements – Men Over 50
That completes my picks for the top testosterone booster supplements for mature gentlemen.
But, that doesn’t mean these are the only good formulas for mature men. Check out my reviews for more.
Now we will move on to the guide portion of this article, starting with the one question that ultimately led you here:
What happens to testosterone levels after age 50?
If you are over 50, you have already noticed symptoms of natural, age -related testosterone decline. This decline is estimated to begin around age 30, with the idea being that you lose 1% of your testosterone for every year after.
So by the time you are 50, it might not be that your testosterone starts dropping faster, just that many of the signs of low testosterone have hit a point where they become a lot more noticeable. Including:
- Sexual performance problems: low testosterone is associated with a lot of these, including erectile performance problems, loss of sex drive, lower sperm count in virility, and just overall low manly vitality that diminishes sex function and enjoyment.
- Weaker muscles: testosterone is an anabolic hormone. Older men have a harder time building and maintaining lean muscle mass because their testosterone levels are naturally lower than they used to be.
- Weight gain: Low test levels are strongly associated with fat accumulation around the midsection. You know what I’m talking about. Your GUT, Bro.
- Mood and mental issues: Lower testosterone in older men is associated with brain fog, irritability, spotty memory, and loss of motivation.
- Heart health: as testosterone levels get lower in mature men over the age of 50, cardiovascular risks increase
- Bone health: age-related testosterone decline is directly linked to weakening of the skeletal system, which can lead to problems with posture and fractures
In addition to all those issues, it seems like low testosterone in men over 50 just feels bad.
From what I have read, it sounds like men lose their manly confidence. Maybe this is tied to weaker muscles and diminished sexual performance. In any case, declining test levels sound like they make life a drag in men over 50, just when they should be enjoying life the most.
With all of that to worry about, it is no surprise that so many men seek out testosterone booster supplements after the age of 50. These T-boosters are a relatively inexpensive way to try and boost testosterone levels naturally, before trying something more serious with your doctor.
Do Over-The-Counter Testosterone Boosters Work?
Yes, BUT: You have to take the right products if you are over a certain age.
- Men over 50 should not be taking most testosterone supplements on the market.
For example, not all of my top-rated stacks for 2017 are ideal for men over 50, at least in my opinion. Men over the age of 50 need a different and special kind of support that meets their unique needs if they actually want good results from taking a T-Booster supplement.
Now, I am no doctor, but I have some theories on what men over the age of 50 really should be focusing on when they look to buy a testosterone booster supplement.
It is worth noting that while usually I focus on testosterone boosters as the main thing to look for, when it comes to mature men I am giving bonus points to things like libido enhancers, which mature men are almost always looking for in these products.
What Should Men Over the age of 50 Look For in a Testosterone Booster Supplement?
If you are over 50 and want T-booster benefits, you should take a testosterone supplement that is customized for mature men.
To me, an effective “mature” testosterone supplement must be easy-to-absorb, with high-potency T-boosters, and extra support for other aspects of manly vitality that tend to decline with age.
The Best T-Boosters for Men Over 50 support a wide range of manly benefits.
When you take a good high-quality T-booster that mature men can absorb and utilize effectively, you may gain benefits associated with healthy T levels and youthful male health:
- Muscle growth and improved strength
- Fat loss, including around the midsection
- Robust sex drive and strong sexual performance
- Mental clarity and heightened motivation
- Improved masculine vitality
So what are the right formulas? How do you find the best T-booster for you?
If you ask me, here are the specific formula features that you should look for if you are over age 50:
Extra-Strength Testosterone Support
The foundation of every good T-Booster supplement are ingredients that actually are intended to increase testosterone levels. This can happen in a lot of different ways.
But when it comes to men over 50 who are already in pretty steep testosterone decline, it makes sense to me that they should be taking the most powerful and direct testosterone boosters that they can get.
If you read other reviews on this website, you already know what I’m going to recommend next — the single strongest T-Booster there is:
- DAA: D-Aspartic Acid (DAA) is my favorite T-Booster because of its big potential and research backed benefits. There is one study that found it boosted testosterone by about 42 percent after only 12 days. The trick is you have to take it with an estrogen blocker, especially if you are a mature men over the age of 50 who needs extra estrogen support anyway. More on that in a minute.
Other good T-Boosters for men over 50:
- Mucuna Pruriens – Evidence backed for increases in both testosterone and sex drive
- Ashwagandha – Helps T and pretty much everything else related to male performance
- Tongkat Ali – Testosterone booster and libido enhancer in one root herb
Easy-To-Absorb Vitamins and Minerals
This is key for men over the age of 50. That’s because as we get older, it becomes harder to absorb some of the basic essential nutrients, including those that are absolutely necessary for testosterone production.
If you are over 50, you should be taking an awesome multivitamin and looking for the following T-booster vitamins and minerals in any testosterone supplement that you are considering buying. My list of T-Booster basic nutrients that mature men should look for:
- Boron – associated with healthy testosterone levels and believed to help keep estrogen in check
- Magnesium – helps with muscle relaxation, sleep, and anabolism; may block SHGB too
- B-Vitamins – testosterone-protective activities; key B-vitamin nutrition gets harder to absorb with age
- Vitamin K – K is my dog… My Underdog. Strongly associated with high testosterone in some animal research
- Zinc – the manliest mineral, needed for testosterone synthesis, good for getting rid of man boobs
- Vitamin D – May be a fairly direct T-boosting vitamin, evidence backed for increasing test levels
Do Testosterone Supplements for Men over 50 have side effects?
Another reason why mature men should seek out a T-booster made for them: Side effects. Some younger, more sports-nutrition-oriented test stacks are pretty intense, and not designed for a mature man’s system.
Again, since our digestive systems change as we grow older, and some foods and nutrients get harder to absorb… most T-booster side effects are gastric.
This is why I recommend that men over 50 always try to seek out supplements that are using high-potency, concentrated, standardized and premium, to help minimize indigestion. So you can actually keep taking the supplement!
Study after study has shown that when mature men experience testosterone decline, they have one thing on their mind: how is this going to affect my sex life?
Restoring lost testosterone by using T-Booster supplements for men over 50 can also restore lost libido.
But, if you are shopping for a T-Booster, you will notice that many of the leading supplements for men over 50 include herbals that are for sex drive more than anything else.
I have no problem with this.
If it’s the top concern for men over 50, and they are taking a supplement to restore their sexual performance in the first place, then why not include some of these masculine performance enhancers?
Good ones to look for in a T-Booster supplement designed for men over the age of 50 include:
- Fenugreek – it boosts testosterone (at the expense of DHT), improves muscle performance, helps build lean muscle, and is a flat-out sexual performance booster. What more could you ask for?
- Tribulus – found in a lot of testosterone booster supplements, it is most popularly used for bodybuilding, athletic performance and as a libido-booster.
- Ginseng – a legendary herb for masculine performance and energy, that, like fenugreek, may have some mild T-boosting activity too.
- Horny goat weed – it’s really only good for one thing, but it seems to do that pretty well – boosting masculine performance in the bedroom.
Testosterone Team Players
This is a special category for everything else that goes wrong hormonally when you get to be a mature gentleman. For example, you have to deal with estrogen levels going higher. Mature men also have to deal with higher 5-alpha reductase enzyme.
This enzyme dissolves the test that is circulating in your bloodstream. As men age, extra support is also good for regulating cortisol, the stress hormone that kills T and contributes to belly fat; and Sex-Hormone Binding Globulin, which gloms up test so it doesn’t work anymore, driving down T levels.
There’s a lot of different things that work against men past the age of 50 to keep testosterone levels down. If you’re looking for a T-Booster supplement, in this category look for:
Adaptogen herbs – these work in part by keeping your cortisol levels in check. They are also useful as performance enhancers in athletics and also in the bedroom. So naturally, these make great additions for testosterone booster supplements designed for men over the age of 50. Good ones to look for include:
- Ginseng – especially good for mature men who are training in the gym and seducing in the bedroom
- Rhodiola – legendary performance-enhancer for physical strength, mental focus, and yes, testosterone
Anti-Female-Hormone compounds – these are especially important if you are taking DAA. They are also generally useful for mature men because after a certain age your hormone balance starts to skew towards the feminine (estrogen, aromatase) and away from testosterone. Some of the best for mature men include:
- Luteolin – a botanical antioxidant shown to have anti-estrogen and anti-aromatase activity for a manly balance well into maturity
- DIM – another botanical with natural anti-aromatase activity that helps sustain circulating testosterone
Anti-SHBG ingredients – Sex Hormone Binding Globulin neutralizes the manly benefits of free testosterone by turning it into bound testosterone. There are a few T-booster ingredients that can counter the negative effects of SHBG, especially:
- Stinging Nettle – Effective T-booster with extra prostate and urinary support
- Boron – Essential mineral with T-supportive anti-SHBG activity
Recap: My Best T-Boosters for Men Over 50
|T-Booster Supplement||My Review||Website|
|#1 – Prime Male||My Review||www.primemale.com|
|#2 – TestoFuel||My Review||www.testofuel.com|
|#3 – Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone||My Review||www.nugenix.com|
|#4 – Alpha King||My Review||www.forcefactor.com|
|#5 – TestoSyn||My Review||www.xpisupplements.com|
There are a lot of testosterone supplements on the market, from a lot of manufacturers and sellers. But most of them are not designed for mature men.
In this article, I have rated the best T-boosters for mature men, based upon my own research and my own ideas of what mature men need most for healthy testosterone levels. Any of these selections is a good pick for mature men, so check out the full reviews to figure out which one is best for you.
- With the right T-booster, you just might maintain masculine health and manly vitality well into your 50s and beyond.
Especially if you lift, avoid T-killers and otherwise lead a manly lifestyle. Taking a testosterone booster is a secret weapon that can help you achieve your manly peak and stay there for the long haul, enjoying every minute along the way.