Many, if not all of us, have dreaded the day that we turned 40 but let’s face it – 40 something isn’t actually that old. From my point of view, it’s when a lot of us are settled, know what we want, and exactly how we want it. Compared to being young and still figuring yourself out, being 40 isn’t so bad after all, right?
On the other hand, being 40 also comes with its disadvantages. For one, you probably have low testosterone and from this stems a bunch of other issues such as lower sex drive, a fatty belly, and a difficulty building muscle. With the right testosterone booster, however, all this (and much more) could be a thing of the past.
This is where I come in. Through this article, my goal is to help you naturally counter the emasculating side effects of low T and in the process, make you a better, more knowledgeable man so you get to live life to the fullest even as you age.
I’ll start with a quick overview of what I think are the most suitable testosterone supplements for men over 40. My thoughts and theories on what to look for in these products will follow soon after. Finally, the article will end with a recap on my personal recommendations to help you choose which product to buy. Let’s start!
BEST T-BOOSTER SUPPLEMENTS – MEN OVER 40
Before we move on, let me just clarify a few things about my picks for the best testosterone booster supplements for men over 40
The supplements above are my personal picks but in all honesty, they’re not the only good ones. For instance, I’ve read that men have had great experiences with TestoSyn, Maxgenics, and numerous other testosterone supplements. While I do think they have their own advantages, I also think that they’re better for men that are part of a higher age group.
If for some reason you’re not satisfied with the list I have here, that’s perfectly fine. The main goal of this article is to help you find what’s best for YOU anyway. As such, I’ve reviewed tons of other T boosters so feel free to check them out. That said, let’s answer the question that most probably led you here:
What happens to testosterone levels after 40?
The simple truth is that men in their teenage years through to their early 20’s are quite literally brimming with testosterone. I mean, even if you didn’t realize it then, you’ve undoubtedly been there – insatiable thirst for sex, seemingly endless loads of energy, comparatively low levels of body fat, etcetera.
However, after those golden years, testosterone takes a slow but steady dip. Multiple sources have said that this decline starts at about the age of 30 and every year after that, your testosterone drops by about 0.4%-1%.
Here’s a little science for you
A 2014 study measured the average testosterone levels of men in their teens and in their 40s. The following are their results:
- At 19 years old, testosterone is at an average of 7.2 – 31.1 nmol/L
- At 40 years old, testosterone is at an average of 6.6 – 25.3 nmol/L
According to those measures, us men have about 15% less testosterone by the time we reach 40 compared to when we were teenagers. Moreover, the Urology Care Foundation says that 4 out of 10 men already have low testosterone at age 45.
From what I’ve read and observed, men over the age of 40 start to frequent the doctor’s clinic complaining about testosterone-related symptoms, such as:
- Men from this age group seem to complain about a growing midsection. Bad eating habits, lack of exercise, and poor nutrition are obvious culprits but these are amplified by low testosterone’s link to accumulation of fat especially around the belly.
- More than any other androgen, testosterone is anabolic. For this very reason, ageing men often encounter problems maintaining muscle mass, strength, and endurance.
- Men are historically more prone to heart disease than women. As such, it was believed that testosterone was the root cause of the problem. Research reveals, however, that the problem isn’t testosterone per se but rather the decrease in T that comes with age.
Mood swings and cognitive decline
- This all boils down to a waning mental health. Testosterone is mostly linked with muscle and sex but your brain has T receptors, too.
Weakening sexual performance
- The first thing that comes to mind here is low libido. However, ageing comes with more than just a dwindling appetite for sex. It also comes with declining sperm quality and quantity as well as erectile dysfunction.
The combination of these symptoms can literally be depressing
I mean, wouldn’t you feel down if you fatigued quickly or aren’t able to satisfy your wife in bed? Coupled with how busy and stressed men in their 40s normally are, low T soon becomes a seemingly unavoidable problem that leads to a lower quality of life.
That said, let’s move on to the next topic.
What should men over the age of 40 look for in a T-Booster supplement?
To me, the best testosterone supplements in the market aren’t necessarily the most suitable for men over 40. These men have unique needs that not all T-boosters can accurately target and taking the market’s top sellers might not always be the best option.
From my perspective, these are some of the busiest people I’ve come across. It just seems like their list of things to do goes on and on and on and on… you get the point.
The best T-Boosters for men over 40 are well-rounded supplements that benefit multiple facets of male health
Of course, these benefits have to be grounded on powerful and effective testosterone boosting. This, by itself, already opens a wide range of possible benefits.
However, I think the best testosterone boosters for men over 40 are ones that not only effectively boost testosterone, but ones that also simultaneously promote other areas of male health, including:
- Stronger and larger muscles
- Leaner physique (lower body fat)
- Higher energy
- Healthier bones and joints
- Heightened motivation
- Improved cognition
- Steadier mood
- Amplified libido
- Better sperm parameters (e.g., quantity, motility, morphology)
- Stiffer erections
In addition to those 3 aspects of male health listed above, I also think it’s important for men over age 40 to consider a testosterone booster that manages other hormonal changes that come with increasing age. After all, boosted testosterone won’t do you much good if you have an imbalance everywhere else.
Once you’ve found a testosterone booster that effectively improves all of these areas, I have little doubt in my mind that the quality of your life will take a turn for the better. The question now is…
What features should a T-booster for men over 40 have?
From here, I’ll be showing you the attributes that, in my opinion, you should be looking for in a testosterone booster if you’re over 40 years old. Also, I’ll be throwing in a few of my favorite T-booster ingredients that essentially make these features happen. Let’s start with the most obvious.
Powerful testosterone support
The premise of every effective testosterone booster should be ingredients that effectively boost testosterone.
It’s redundant. I know. But it has to be said. Technically, natural testosterone boosting can happen via a bunch of different pathways but when you’re 40 and already low on this manly hormone, you’d want something that can be as direct and powerful as possible. Speaking of, here’s what I suggest you look for:
DAA is a relatively new supplement but it already holds so much potential. In fact, a couple of products on my official list of the best testosterone boosters last 2017 built their formulas around this amino acid.
To my knowledge, D-Aspartic Acid is the single most direct, balls-out natural testosterone booster in the world. Plus, it’s also very efficient in how it works. One research shows that DAA supplementation led to 42% higher levels of testosterone in just 12 days. If that’s not powerful, I don’t know what is.
The catch to supplementing DAA, however, is that the powerful test boosts might also lead to a rise in estrogen (yes, this happens). Fortunately, many T-booster supplements have ways to counter this but we’ll talk more about this later.
A few other testosterone boosters that work for men over 40:
- Mucuna Pruriens – One of the more promising testosterone boosters that also impacts libido and sperm
- Tongkat Ali – Traditionally used for increasing sex drive, this legendary herb also has strong potential as a testosterone booster for mature men
Reinforced sexual vigor
After a long day of hustling and bustling, a lot of times you just want to go home and blow off some steam. This stress-relief can come in many different forms but to me (and most probably a lot of you guys), one of the best ways to do so is sex.
Unfortunately, for men over 40 with low T, bringing yourself to do the act can be a tough job. One herb that can help is this:
The way I see it, this herb is a great example why not all T-booster supplements are suitable for men in their 40s.
According to a research that studied this herb’s effects on androgen production in young men aged 20-36 years old, Tribulus Terrestris is simply incapable of boosting testosterone. Furthermore, another research that examined athletes with an average age of approximately 20 years old showed that Trib had no significant effects on T.
However, on ageing men with testosterone deficiency, studies show that Tribulus Terrestris can in fact raise testosterone. On top of that, it’s also pretty good for sexual enhancement.
Here are a few others that influence sex and T:
- Fenugreek – Mostly known for increasing libido but it also boosts testosterone while decreasing estrogen and DHT
- Panax Ginseng – Ginsengs are great for stress-relief, energy production, and increasing sex drive. Panax (Asian), in particular, has research supporting its use as a T booster. *The research is old and outdated though.
And here are some that only work for sex:
- Horny Goat Weed – Mimics the effects of testosterone with the most prominent one being boosted libido and stiffer erections
- Maca – Ineffective for boosting testosterone but works for libido and sperm
Promote better physical attributes
Who wouldn’t want to look and feel younger in their 40s, right? Apart from boosting testosterone and sex drive, I think looking and feeling better is also just as important to us men. Plus, a better physique and higher energy likely gets you better chances with the ladies which, obviously, is a welcome bonus.
The good thing about the ingredients I’m about to show you is that you don’t need to be an athlete or bodybuilder to enjoy their benefits. With stronger and leaner muscles, mature men can also experience a much needed boost in confidence.
- Coleus Forskohlii (Forskolin) – Boosts testosterone while also burning fat, promoting lean muscle mass, and increases bone strength
- Ashwagandha – Virtually improves everything for us men including muscle strength, sperm, libido, and testosterone
Fenugreek, an ingredient I’ve previously described, is also capable of influencing muscle growth and fat loss.
Potent vitamins and mineral
Increasing age also comes with increasing difficulties absorbing much needed nutrients. This is why you see a lot of elderly people leaving the doctor’s office with multivitamin prescriptions after finding out they have malnutrition.
For this very reason, I think it’s also essential for a T-booster designed for men over 40 to have effective and easy-to-absorb vitamins and minerals. In their premium forms, these nutrients might be priced a bit higher but to experience their full benefits, I think it’s worth it. Here are a few that help boost testosterone as well as health in general:
- Zinc – Essential T-boosting mineral that also helps maintain testosterone levels after exercise
- Magnesium – Blocks SHBG for more “free” testosterone while also promoting sleep, relaxation, and muscle growth
- Vitamin D – Healthy levels of this vitamin have been correlated to increased levels of testosterone so it’s always a good idea to have this in your testosterone booster
- Boron – Increases androgens testosterone and DHT as well as other T-boosting nutrients Vitamin D and Magnesium
- Vitamin B6 – Like Vitamin D, levels of this B Vitamin also seems linked with how high or low your testosterone gets
- Vitamin K – Not yet there research-wise but with what it currently has, I think more testosterone products should have this on their stack
Remember when I said boosting testosterone won’t do much good if you have an imbalance everywhere else? Yeah, let’s talk about that.
Aromatase and Estrogen
Aromatase is the enzyme responsible for converting testosterone into the female hormone estrogen. As we age, aromatase activity tends to increase and as a result, estrogen jacks up while testosterone takes a dip. With aromatase inhibitors, not only do you reduce your body’s estrogen, you also increase testosterone in the process.
- Aromatase inhibitors
5-alpha-reductase and DHT
The 5-alpha-reductase enzyme turns testosterone into another androgen known as DHT. Unfortunately, our body’s sensitivity to this other androgen also increases with age. This conversion not only lowers testosterone but also causes prostate issues and balding in men who’re genetically predisposed. In this case, 5AR inhibitors can help.
- 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors
- Saw Palmetto – Commonly used to treat benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH), these berries inhibit the 5AR enzyme
Stress and Cortisol
Our bodies release cortisol as part of a natural response to stress. As you already know, stress can come in many different shapes and sizes. You could have a bad day at work, an argument with your wife and kids, the dog pooped all over the carpet; heck, even exercise is a form of stress.
Overtime, this accumulation of stress and cortisol can lead to lower levels of testosterone. When you’re over 40 years old and looking for a solid testosterone supplement this 2018, consider looking for one with the following adaptogens that can help you manage stress:
- Adaptogens (anti-stress herbs)
- Rhodiola – Maintains a healthy balance of testosterone, cortisol, and even estrogen in older males
- Tongkat Ali, Ashwagandha, and Ginseng – I’ve already mentioned these herbs in previous segments but they also fall under this category due to their ability to lower cortisol.
Sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG)
As you look for a T-booster supplement that works for you, I suggest you search for a stack that has the ability to reduce or block the bioactivities of SHBG.
This compound binds to testosterone; until our favorite manly hormone is freed from this bind, it’s essentially useless. Therefore, limiting the activities of SHBG makes a lot of sense if you truly want the most out of your boosted testosterone.
- Anti-SHBG ingredients
- Stinging Nettle – Binds to SHBG in place of testosterone, resulting in more “free” T
- Boron and Magnesium – Manly minerals that also help boost “free” testosterone through SHBG inhibition
The best testosterone supplements for men over 40 have little to no side effects
When we’re 40, the primary purpose for taking T-booster supplements is to minimize or even neutralize the side effects of declining testosterone. As such, it’s only natural that the most suitable stacks for men of this age should also be ones that have little to no risks.
One way to make sure of that is to check the quality and dosage of the ingredients. Generally, ingredients with cheap qualities are also the ones that are harder to absorb which then results in gastric side effects such as diarrhea. On the other hand, having too much of some T-boosters might also be toxic.
Furthermore, it also helps to know if your T-booster is natural or synthetic as synthetic testosterone is usually linked to side effects. Also, some ingredients don’t go well with each other (e.g., Calcium and Zinc) so make sure to check those, too.
RECAP: MY BEST T-BOOSTERS FOR MEN OVER 40
|T-Booster Supplement||My Review||Website|
|#1 – Prime Male||My Review||www.primemale.com|
|#2 – Performance Lab SPORT T-Booster||My Review||www.performancelab.com|
|#3 – TestoFuel||My Review||www.testofuel.com|
|#4 – Nugenix Ultimate Testosteorne||My Review||www.nugenix.com|
|#5 – Quantum T||My Review||www.mtheorysupplements.com|
In a nutshell, not all testosterone boosters out on the market can be suitable for mature gentlemen such as yourselves. Also, just because it’s the hottest supplement on Amazon, GNC, or wherever you go online shopping doesn’t mean that it’ll fit your needs, too.
That said, I hope this article helped guide you on what T-boosters you should buy. If any of my personal picks don’t appeal to you, don’t worry because I’ve written plenty of reviews and guides to help you out. With those and the knowledge you gained here, I think you should pretty much already know what features and ingredients to look for.
Remember, although life does get tougher as a middle-aged man, the right testosterone supplement can help you live a more youthful and energetic life even as the years pile up.